A New Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Addiction

A long time ago in a neighborhood not that far away...

A five year old boy opened his first pack of trading cards that commenced a lifelong addiction to hoarding items most people would classify as rubbish.

Thirty-three years later, he'd create a blog to document his hobby experiences and interact with hundreds of fellow collectors who share his passion. Based on most of his posts and what he shares on the blog, it's easy to identify his love for sports.

However... only his diehard readers and close friends know his other obsession. The one that focuses around a super duper awesome, science fiction space soap opera which has the Rebel Alliance battling the evilGalactic Empire. The same obsession that originated with that first pack of trading cards back in 1977. Using your context clues, have you figured out what I'm referring to?

Yup... you guessed it. Star Wars.

The little boy didn't only collect the trading cards. He was also infatuated with the space ships and action figures produced by Kenner back in the 70's and 80's.

Eventually that little boy grew up and stopped playing with those toys. His mother gave them away and he moved onto bigger and better things: sports memorabilia.

But deep down inside... he still loved the greatest movie franchise ever. Over the course of three decades, he made sure to set aside time to watch the original trilogy... and yes... even the prequels.

These days... that little boy is all grown up. He's now in his forties and believe it or not, he still treasures his Star Warstrading cards. Over the years, he's even gone out and picked up a few of those action figures from his childhood days.

In addition to those vintage toys, he's discovered this generation's version of Beanie Babies: Funko Pops. Yes. He fully understands that one day these overproduced pieces of plastic will be worth a fraction of the value originally spent.

But unlike Beanie Babies... the five year old boy trapped inside the body of a forty-three year old man actually thinks these look cool when displayed in his classroom. And that's why he's okay with his newfound addiction.

Happy Friday and may the force be with you!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X