Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ucffans
    replied
    Glad to see a Star Wars post on May the Fourth be with you!

Beastie Boys song - Girls...to do the dishes, to clean up my room,...

Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

Leave a comment:

• sanjosefuji
    started a topic Two Passions: One Collectible

Two Passions: One Collectible

There are few things I've been passionate about longer than collecting baseball cards. Star Wars is one of those things.

Mama and Papa Fuji took me to the theaters when the movie came out in 1977. And I immediately joined millions of kids around the world who became obsessed with their trading cards and action figures.

These days... I don't quite have the same passion for Star Warstrading cards and action figures like I did back in the day. I briefly went through a Funko Pop phase, but that sort of ran its course after a few months.

I did recently pick up a Star Warsaction figure that I've been wanting to add to my collection for awhile. It's of Ello Asty... a Resistancepilot who was shot down during the attack on Starkiller Base in Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

I'm sure most of you have heard by now that directorJ.J. Abrams is a huge fan of the Beastie Boys and Asty'sname pays tribute to their 1998album, Hello Nasty.

A closer look at Asty's helmet reveals another nod to my favorite hip hop group of all-time:

At first glance, this writing on the Asty'shelmet might just seem like mumbo jumbo.

But upon closer inspection, it actually says "born to ill", which refers to the Beastie Boys'first major album: Licensed to Ill.

Simply put... this figure is pure awesomeness. Not because it's rare and valuable. I picked it up on Amazon for less than $6 and routinely see these sitting on pegs at my localTarget. It's not because Ello Asty is cool looking. Let's keep it real... he's no Boba Fett or Darth Maul.

It's because this figure represents two of my favorite things outside of collecting baseball cards: Star Wars and the Beastie Boys. Now that's something I never thought I'd see.

What about you...

Are you a fan of Star Wars? The Beastie Boys? Both?

What's your favorite Star Wars movie? Beastie Boys song?

Happy Star Wars Day and sayonara!

More...
Working...
X