Historical, Yet Controversial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical, Yet Controversial

When I started this blog in 2010, I had no idea whether or not people would read my blog. Five years later, it feels good knowing that there are people out there who regularly read and comment on my posts.

But regardless if I had one follower or two hundred followers... the bottom line is that this blog serves as a journal which documents everything from my childhood stories to latest sports card purchases. And every once in a while something historical comes along that's not necessarily sports card related, but it's so important to our country's history that it needs to be remembered and documented.

This is one of those posts. On Friday, while preparing my group of fifth graders for their field trip to see Disney's Inside Out... my friend came into my classroom and told me about the Supreme Court'slandmark ruling regarding same-sex marriage.

Twenty-something years ago, I might have frowned on this decision. Growing up, I didn't know anyone who was homosexual. And whether it was the national media, the people I hung out with, my personal prejudices (ignorance), or a combination of all of those things... I had no desire to hang out with a guy who was attracted to other men.

Luckily I was fortunate enough to cross paths and eventually befriend a fair share of gay and lesbian people. There have been co-workers, friends, students, and even family members who have come out with their sexuality.

And thankfully... I have matured and realized that we're all human beings and when it comes to choosing my friends, their character is much more important than their sexual preference.

Now... I'm not telling you... or even asking you to share my beliefs. I have friends who don't agree with same-sex marriage based on their religious or personal beliefs... and I completely respect that. I just hope that this historical event makes our country and its citizens that much stronger, instead of tearing us apart.

Thank you for taking the time to sit there as I stand up on my Sunday morning soapbox. Have a wonderful Sunday. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X