Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationals Sign Ryan Zimmerman For 6 Years $100 Million

AP source: Zimmerman, Nationals add $100M, 6 years - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Ever since he became the Washington Nationals’ very first draft pick, Ryan Zimmerman wanted to stay with the club for the long haul.

Now he’ll get that wish.

The Nationals took what they hope is another step toward consistent contention by locking up their third baseman—and the guy many still call the face of the franchise—through 2019, adding six years to Zimmerman’s existing contract in a deal announced Sunday.

The deal includes a full no-trade clause.

The extra six seasons are worth $100 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no financial terms were revealed publicly.

“It’s nice that it’s done,” Zimmerman said at a news conference at the club’s spring training stadium in Viera, Fla. “It’s where I want to be. It’s where I’ve always wanted to be.”

He already was signed for 2012 and 2013, with $26 million remaining on the five-year, $45 million contract he got at the start of the 2009 season. He’s now guaranteed $126 million over the next eight seasons, and there is a club option for 2020.

Can't believe the Nationals would give him that much..Don't see this ending very well for them.

Comment

They never learned from the Jayson Werth deal. LOL!

Comment

If Zimmerman stays healthy the Nationals have made a good deal.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
        Baseball HOFers Autos I need
        Orioles Autos I need
        Baseball HOFers GU I need
        Orioles GU I need
        Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
        However other offers will be considered

Comment

They've definitely been looking to spend money in recent years. Hopefully, Zimmerman stays healthy. He's a nice player.
          Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

That's a lot of coinage...
            Click here to see my 2011 Gypsy Queen Leather Minis (162/350) - Updated 03/17/13
            WANTED: 1978 Tigers Team-Issue Set, 2007 Fleer Mini Die Cuts Gold #216 Magglio Ordonez

Comment

he stays healthy that is a steal!
              http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Health is the issue here
                I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

But isn't that, health, the issue with ALL long term contracts ?

Orioles Autos I need
                  Orioles GU I need

Comment

this makes me wonder just where is the money going to come from to sign Harper to a long term deal when the time comes,whos contract is going to be sacrificed to make that a possibility?

Comment

Good point. And if he comes around (health wise), as expected, it'll be hard also to come up with enough $'s to keep Strasburg (along with Zimmerman and Harper). But, for now, that's a problem for the future. For now, things are starting to look better for the Nationals.

Orioles Autos I need
                      Orioles GU I need

Comment

Originally posted by chris_brown View Post
                        this makes me wonder just where is the money going to come from to sign Harper to a long term deal when the time comes,whos contract is going to be sacrificed to make that a possibility?
                        Werth will be off the books by the time Harper is a free agent. Zimmerman might be, also.

Comment

Originally posted by key2win View Post
                          They never learned from the Jayson Werth deal. LOL!

Zimmerman contract makes a lot more sense though than Werth's. Zimmerman has been more productive over the years and Werth had just 1 good season.

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Originally posted by chris_brown View Post
                            gladdy is right Werth's contract should be done by this time.

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Originally posted by tndcollectables View Post
                              Zimmerman contract makes a lot more sense though than Werth's. Zimmerman has been more productive over the years and Werth had just 1 good season.
                              I disagree some what. Werth had more than 1 good year, but his age is what made the deal so ridiculous. He's already at the end of his prime, so it won't get much better most likely.

What was odd for Zimmerman is he's had trouble staying on the field and his ability doesn't suggest he's a $100 million player.

Comment

Working...
                              X