2012 MLB Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 MLB Predictions

It's that time of year again when every baseball fan has hope that their team will win the World Series. It's also a time when people make their predictions for the upcoming season. It's going to be a great year for baseball, with some big name players like Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder, and Jose Reyes playing on new teams. Can Matt Kemp have a repeat performance of his 2011 season? Which rookie will become the Tim Tebow or Jeremy Lin of the MLB this year?

As a Dodger fan there's a couple things I'm looking forward to this year. I'm excited for the new ownership team in Los Angeles. Matt Kemp wants to have a 50/50 season. Clayton Kershaw trying for another Cy Young award. This is also Dodger Stadium's 50th Anniversary.

I love making predictions before the season begins and then revisiting my predictions at the end of the season to see how I did. I'm going to try my best to go perfect this year!

American League East: New York Yankees

The Yankees have one of the best lineups from top to bottom. They score a lot of runs especially playing in that small ballpark. Their starting pitching has improved a little by trading away A.J. Burnett and adding Hiroki Kuroda. I've watched Kuroda pitch the past few years. He's an underrated pitcher but his W/L total doesn't show it because the run support he received in LA was horrible. He'll definitely help the Yankees win the division.

American League Central: Detroit Tigers

Easily the best team in the AL Central. I don't see any other team in that division coming close to the Tigers. They have the reigning Cy Young Winner, Justin Verlander and Doug Fister looked great down the stretch for the Tigers in 2011. The Tigers added Prince Fielder to help out Miguel Cabrera. This combo will be better than the Braun/Fielder combo in Milwaukee the past couple of seasons. This should be a cakewalk for this team even with their mediocre pitching rotation after Verlander/Fister.

American League West: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Albert Pujols will finally help the Angels win the division. The Rangers always had just enough pitching to hold off the Angels the past two seasons but that should change now. Kendry Morales has shown that he's ready to play again and will most likely be the DH for them. Their lineup looks pretty good on paper. Their rotation got better with the signing of C.J. Wilson. He'll be the #3 guy behind Weaver and Haren. The Angels bullpen is the only concern I have with this team but the Rangers also have that problem. It will be a close race the entire season.

American League Wild Cards: Texas Rangers &Tampa Bay Rays

The Rangers have a lineup that can score runs and they added a couple of arms to help out their pitching. It's going to be exciting to watch Yu Darvish and Neftali Feliz pitch in that rotation. Can they make people forget they had C.J. Wilson last year? Just like when they made people forget about Cliff Lee two years ago.
    The Rays and Redsox are the two teams I see battling for the final wild card spot in the American League. The season hasn't started yet but the Redsox already have some injury problems. They have a new manager who some players don't even like at the moment. The Rays have had the same team for a while now, and they are ready to compete for the division. David Price needs to pitch like he did two years ago if the Rays want to make some noise in October.

National League East: Miami Marlins

This prediction all depends on the health of Josh Johnson. He's a top 3 pitcher in the league in my opinion. If he can stay healthy the entire season the Marlins should win the division. They added Mark Buerhle to help out in the rotation. The Marlins have a young group of hitters and with the addition of Jose Reyes. They are very fast at the top of their lineup. Maybe their new stadium will distract some of the opposing hitters.

National League Central: Cincinnati Reds

This division is a toss-up. I wanted to pick the Milwaukee Brewers but I have a feeling that they won't perform as well since Prince Fielder is no longer in that lineup. The Reds just locked up Joey Votto for 8 more years and Brandon Phillips is now playing in his contract year. If he wants to earn a nice contract from another team he's going to have to put up big numbers which is what I expect from him this year. They added Matt Latos to the rotation, who is a slight upgrade over Edison Volquez. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if this division is decided on the final day.

National League West: Arizona Diamondbacks

As much as it hurts to type this, I believe the Diamondbacks are the best team in the West. They have some nice pieces in their lineup especially young guys like Justin Upton and Paul Goldschmidt. Their rotation is solid with Kennedy at the top followed by Daniel Hudson, and Trevor Cahill. There is some speculation that they might call up, pitching prospect, Trevor Bauer this year if they need help at the bottom end of the rotation. I watched him pitch at UCLA and he's got some filthy stuff. Kirk Gibson has this team excited and they are the favorites ahead of my Dodgers and the Giants.

National League Wild Cards: Philadelphia Phillies& Los Angeles Dodgers

I still believe the Phillies have the best pitching rotation in baseball. It's their lineup that says they won't win their division. Chase Utley is starting the season hurt and Ryan Howard won't be there to help them. Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino have to produce if they want to hold off the Atlanta Braves.
    I'm going to be a homer and pick the Los Angeles Dodgers. They finished the second half of the 2011 season strong. They no longer have to deal with Frank McCourt and they should be able to play without any of that weight on their shoulders. Andre Ethier is in a contract year and has been tearing it up in Spring Training. Their starting rotation is one of their weaknesses with the loss of Kuroda. Let's just hope Ted Lilly doesn't have a 30/30 season this year. (There's no way I would put the SF Giants here)

AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez
    NL MVP: Matt Kemp
    AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander
    NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw
    AL Manager: Mike Scioscia
    NL Manager: Don Mattingly
    AL Comeback: Adam Dunn
    NL Comeback: Chase Utley

World Series Prediction: Philadelphia Phillies over LA Angels of Anaheim
    World Series MVP: Ryan Howard

Become a fan of Los Angeles Inspiration on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter @LA_Inspiration