Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orioles Call Up Manny Machado

Orioles promote prospect Manny Machado

The future is now for the Baltimore Orioles' Manny Machado.

The Orioles called-up their No. 1 prospect from Class AA Bowie before Thursday night's game against Kansas City, where he could be making his major league debut.

Machado, 20, was the Orioles' first round selection (No. 3 overall) in the 2010 draft.

What's surprising is that Machado has been called up earlier than anticipated. He wasn't expected to reach the majors until 2013.
    ---
    Bad move I think by the Orioles. This is how you can ruin a player, by calling him up too early.

What about Harper with the Nationals ? He's younger and doing okay. And many years ago, what about Al Kaline ? He was younger, and eventually ended up in the HOF. It all depends on the individual, and since no one has "future sight" as to what exactly will happen we'll just have to wait and see.

NOTE: so far, the 2012 season has been GOOD for the "Birds". Therefore, most of their decisions (to this point in the season) must have been good. As of now, with 60 wins, they are about 1 1/4 month ahead of last year (it was mid Sept. before their 60th win in 2011).
    Last edited by OriolesFan; 08-09-2012, 08:54 AM. Reason: to add on a NOTE

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Trout and Elvis Andrus, and Starling Castro are also examples of how it can work to bring a guy up early.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Looks like the Cardinals could be calling up Oscar Taveras. This kid is 20 years old and can hit circles around Bryce Harper. Very humble and likeable too. The second coming of Albert Pujols. You read it here first.

Comment

Why Not. They are in the thick of the wild card and need to go all in so to speak. I like the move. Also maybe it will put people in the stands. Place is still a ghost town and they are winning
          Last edited by wheeler281; 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM.

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

No Taveras. Ryan Jackson instead.

Comment

I agree Taveras will be real good..but um Pujos type he's not. (Better for fantasy though) I'm glad all these kids are getting a chance though. Man does it make baseball better and more exciting watching the energy they bring with them..But yeah bring up Taveras
              Fav. teams are Eagles, Astros, Flyers and Sixers. Prospects and rookies of any teams.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caduke View Post
                I agree Taveras will be real good..but um Pujos type he's not. (Better for fantasy though) I'm glad all these kids are getting a chance though. Man does it make baseball better and more exciting watching the energy they bring with them..But yeah bring up Taveras
                Nobody thought Pujols was special at first. He wouldnt have made the team out of Spring Training had it not been for Bobby Bonillas injury and at McGwires urging for him to make the team. Having seen Taveras play, in person for 30 or so games, I'd say he's right on track where Pujols was at the same age. Having said that, the comparison probably shouldnt be made so soon cause those are big shoes to fill. Oscar is a very friendly and personable guy. Quick to pose for a pic and sign anytime. When my son got his auto and was having his pic taken with him, he made the comment that he loved all of his fans and insisted that I have my pic taken too. With a personality like that, he'll win over Cardinal Nation very quickly. Add Kolten Wong in there too.

Sorry to hijack your thread Rodney.

Comment

Now is a good time to sell Machado stuff

Comment

2 HR last night for the Macho man!
                    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Yes, he has done well in his first two games. Hopefully he'll continue to do well. However, only time will tell. But so far so good.

Orioles Autos I need
                      Orioles GU I need

Comment

Machado homers again as Orioles beat Royals 5-3 - Yahoo! Sports

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Manny Machado might want to brush up on his knowledge of Baltimore Orioles history, because the rookie continues to put his name alongside several of the team's finest players in the franchise record book.

Machado hit his third homer in four major league games.

Machado hit a two-run homer in the second off former Baltimore pitcher Bruce Chen (8-10). The 20-year-old tripled in his debut Thursday night, homered twice in his second game and doubled in a run Saturday night.

On Friday night, Machado became the youngest Oriole to have multihomer game, breaking the mark set previously by Boog Powell. With his drive on Sunday, Machado joined Frank Robinson, Ray Knight and Lee May as the only players to get an extra-base hit in each of their first four games with the Orioles.

Comment

So far the "kid" is doing well. I hope he continues through the rest of this season, and that the "Birds' will stay in contention and in the end make the playoffs. This is the best season, so far, that they've had since 1997.

Orioles Autos I need
                          Orioles GU I need

Comment

What about the lucky kid who caught Machados first 2 homerun balls!?!? Wow! Take that kid to Vegas for good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X