20 Players Who Make More Money Than The 2013 Houston Astros Combined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Players Who Make More Money Than The 2013 Houston Astros Combined

Twenty players will make more individually in 2013 than the entire Astros team combined

Four Philadelphia Phillies will make more money in 2013 than the entire Houston Astros team. So will three New York Yankees, three Los Angeles Dodgers, three Detroit Tigers and three San Francisco Giants.

All total, 20 deep-pocketed players are set to earn more than the payroll-shredding, rebuilding Astros. After Monday's trade that sent Jed Lowrie to Oakland, Houston's 2013 obligations are less than $25 million. That number is the lowest since the 2006 Florida Marlins had a payroll just below $15 million.

If you subtract the $5 million Houston is paying Wandy Rodriguez — who, as Jeff Passan notes, is the team's highest-paid player this season and just happens to be a Pittsburgh Pirate (oops!) — then the actual Astros roster will be paid less than $20 million. Barring any last-minute moves, of course.

You might see $20 million and think, "C'mon, A-Rod and his bad hip make more than that in a year." And they do. Worth-every-penny guys like Miguel Cabrera, Felix Hernandez and Matt Kemp do too. The former Cy Young winner turned bullpen guy in San Francisco and the odd-man-out outfielder in an Angels uniform? Their checks are also fatter than all the Astros.

Here's the full list, but we should note: exact salaries are hard to come by. We used the numbers from Baseball Prospectus and included signing bonuses that are spread out over the life of a contract. These numbers could swell further with performance bonuses.

Alex Rodriguez, $29M

Johan Santana, $25.5M
    Cliff Lee, $25M
    Mark Teixeira, $23.25M
    C.C. Sabathia, $23M
    Prince Fielder, $23M
    Joe Mauer, $23M
    Tim Lincecum, $22.25M
    Adrian Gonzalez, $21.86M
    Miguel Cabrera, $21M
    Vernon Wells, $21M
    Carl Crawford, $20.86M
    Matt Cain, $20.83M
    Cole Hamels, $20.5M
    Matt Kemp, $20.25M
    Felix Hernandez, $20.2M
    Justin Verlander, $20.1M
    Roy Halladay, $20M
    Ryan Howard, $20M
    Barry Zito, $20M

Pretty amazing how many scrubs are on that list making monster money.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
    Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
    Johnson/Mears/
    Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Alex Rodriguez, $29M - Steroids
      Mark Teixeira, $23.25M - Self admitted he's overpaid
      Vernon Wells, $21M - LMAO
      Carl Crawford, $20.86M - Platoon player
      Ryan Howard, $20M - Platoon player
      Barry Zito, $20M - Awful

Comment

Its funny that Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton are not on the list because of the way they structured their contracts, but Vernon Wells is.

Comment

Don't forget about Lincecum who might not even crack the Giants starting rotation, and Mauer, who's basically a Canadian.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
          Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
          Johnson/Mears/
          Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
            Don't forget about Lincecum who might not even crack the Giants starting rotation, and Mauer, who's basically a Canadian.

Hey now, just because Mauer is overpaid please don't call him Canadian.
            http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Without a doubt ALL MLB players (and pro players of other sports in the USA) are OVER PAID, while the people that are really important teachers, military, police, firefighters, etc aren't paid enough.

Have a good day.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
              Baseball HOFers Autos I need
              Orioles Autos I need
              Baseball HOFers GU I need
              Orioles GU I need
              Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
              However other offers will be considered

Comment

Working...
              X