Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yasiel Puig Hits First Grand Slam

Y! SPORTS

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Yasiel Puig topped himself yet again, electrifying the Dodger Stadium crowd with another big moment in a week already full of them for the rookie newly arrived to the major leagues.

Puig hit his first career grand slam, Zack Greinke pitched four-hit ball over seven innings, and Los Angeles defeated Atlanta 5-0 on Thursday night, snapping the Braves' five-game winning streak.

''He's really going out there and playing like he belongs up here,'' veteran Braves pitcher Tim Hudson said of Puig, who made his debut on Monday.

Clinging to a 1-0 lead, the Dodgers loaded the bases in the eighth after Cory Gearrin gave up one-out singles to Skip Schumaker and Luis Cruz, and then walked pinch-hitter Hanley Ramirez.

That set the stage for Puig, who had fans on their feet and clapping in expectation of more exploits from the 22-year-old Cuban defector. He was 5 for 8 with two homers and five RBIs in his first two games this week before going 0 for 4 on Wednesday.

Watching from the dugout, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez were chatting about what Puig might do.

''We said, 'It should be grand slam here' and it's on the first pitch,'' Mattingly recounted. ''You're trying to get one there and he gets you four.''

Puig homered on the first pitch into the right field pavilion, extending the Dodgers' lead to 5-0. He took his fourth curtain call of the week from the top of the dugout steps, raising both arms to acknowledge the cheers.

''What information we had on him going in and knowing what I wanted him to do in that situation, that obviously wasn't it,'' Gearrin said. ''It was a slider and I didn't get it down enough. I left it up and out over the plate, and he did what he was supposed to do.''

Typical of his hard-charging style, Puig was going so fast he nearly came up on Ramirez's heels as they crossed home plate in succession. One of his teammates poured water on Puig's head in celebration.

As bad as the Dodgers are playing, anything looks like a savior to them.

Comment

I seen what he did to my braves
      http://photobucket.com/trades_bucket
      Collecting Panthers and Lots more

Comment

Working...
      X