I think I just received some resealed packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I just received some resealed packs

I found a lot of 36 1991 O pee chee baseball cards (the canadian version) being auctioned on eBay (36 Unopened 1991 OPC O Pee Chee Wax Packs Fresh from Box | eBay). I already bought a sealed box and know how much original packs are worth, so I put in a bid.

I won the auction - the packs went really cheap and I was suspicious even when I was bidding that the packs may have been opened and resealed. So when they showed up today, the first thing I did was check for tampering.

I read that the best way to check wax for resealing was to look at the roller lines from where the factory rollers originally sealed the packs - if the lines don't line up, the packs were resealed. Actually, the roller lines seem to line up perfectly, but I stopped checking after about 3 packs because I noticed something even more (obviously?) suspicious. What I noticed is that the backs of the packs look like they were taped. All of them have the signs of taping. I assume they were taped after they were opened so the guy could make sure the roller marks line up while he resealed them. Can anyone confirm that there should not be any tape marks on the packs?

I'm going to return the packs with or without the sellers blessing, but I'd like to be more certain that the packs have been resealed before I leave negative feedback. There's no way there should be tape marks on the back of these packs, right?

By, the sellers eBay ID is eBay My World - the_bracken_collection
    Last edited by sickmantz; 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM.
    My Photobucket (Trade/Sell):
    http://s1245.beta.photobucket.com/us...de%20or%20Sale

Collecting:
    Baseball HOF Autos & Patches (no jerseys, unless old)
    Griffey RCs, Autos, & Patches + RCs, Autos, & Patches for Other Future HOFers.
    Higher end top prospect cards.
    Will consider vintage cards of well known players

What about the quality of the cards? Did you get stars and rookies or mostly just commons? I know in 91 they didn't really do inserts, but there are a lot of HOF players that would be in that set.
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I'm not going to open them. I'm just going to return them.

Collecting:

Comment

After trying to bully me into just keeping the packs, the guy finally said he would send me a refund less the cost of shipment and told me to keep the packs. So I did.

I opened them all. No Chipper cards. I was sure before, but now I'm even more certain now that the packs were resealed, whether he knew it or not. The guy was a total bleep about the whole thing, so I left negative feedback. Now he's crying about it. If he had just been civil, he could have avoided the negative feedback, but he wasn't even close. Hundreds of transactions on eBay, a dozen or so bad ones and only a 3-4 times have I left negative feedback.

So let this be a lesson to you, kids. If you treat people like bleep, whether you're right or wrong, it could really come back to bite you.

Incidentally, all 36 wrappers and all 360 (supposed to be) cards I got are for sale. It's 90% commons with a few hall of famers who were around to get cards in 1991. I guess I have to go through them, but I don't think it was overloaded with duplicates.
        Last edited by sickmantz; 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM.

Collecting:

Comment

Bummer. Hope you can recoup some (if not, all) of the shipping costs when you sell the lot.
          Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Update. It seems like the seller didn't know the packs were resealed. He also tried to make amends for being such a jerk. He let me keep the packs (there was nothing in em) and he refunded all my money, including the shipping charge. I sold the cards as a lot for a few bucks, so it worked out in the end.

Collecting:

Comment

I'm glad it worked out. It sucks that some people do this.
              Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Working...
              X