Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help building a collection. Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help building a collection. Where to start?

Hey guys, new here. Little background. I was your typical collector in the 80's, stopped around the 94 season, sold my collection. Now I am just starting back up, trying to build a collection for my son, but I have no clue where to start. I bought a couple of boxes of Bowman Sterling, Bowman Platinum. I don't recognize any of the players at all. Is this the new thing where they just put rookies in who have yet to step on the field? I don't understand the refractors, what cards I should put in plastic sleeves, they all look the same to me. Totally lost. I know I spent a good chunk on these boxes, but not really sure what I am looking for. Not like the old days where you were just looking for cards of players who were good. Any advice or tips would be great!

Certainly can be overwhelming. I just got back into the hobby - similar story to yours - about 7 years ago.

My suggestion would be to perhaps find what you want to collect for your son. Is there a certain team or a certain player you like? This would make it easier to start your collection. You can certainly find individual cards on sites for cheaper so you can also go for autographed cards and game used.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of parallel or short print (numbered cards). I know a lot of guys like them, but they are not my thing. I collect them of my favorite players and teams, but I am not going to spend a bunch of money on it.

The cheaper packs you pick up at Walmart or Target aren't too bad if you want to pick up packs that have a mixture of stars, commons, and rookies. The packs with the biggest "hits" (meaning autographs, inserts, rare cards, jersey cards) will probably leave you feeling like you spent a lot of money for the hope of getting a prized card. I am not a gambler so I would rather fork over the money from ebay or something if it is one I really want.

Hope that helps.
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I am with you George. I used to collect football and baseball, but I have been away from the hobby for 15 years. I started back up with football about this time last year, but I took one look at the baseball products and said nope.
      PC'ing Minnesota Twins Auto's and GU's, and popular former Twins in their Twins uniform!

Currently Updating My Bucket: http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/drubacca_117/library/

Comment

Bowman is a prospects/rookies heavy product now. If you want more of today's Stars then you're better off buying anything with Topps in the name. If you don't mind cards depicting players without team names/insignia, then Panini produces some great stuff like Prizm.

Comment

Working...
        X