HOF Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOF Interest

Now that I've gotten to take "the book" and go through the rest of my cards (updated list of sale/trade cards to come soon hopefully), I'm not surprised on some (Walt Weiss, Kal Daniels, really?), but others that I'm totally surprised about. Hall of Famers, people I remember to be good players, not getting much interest.

The main one was Wade Boggs (I remember him as a better hitter than Mattingly and about on par with Gwynn - always a tough out it seemed, but those two get more collector interest according to this March 2014 Beckett and my ebay searches), but Eddie Murray, Kirby Puckett, Frank Thomas and a few others came up too as ones I really didn't get.

So what made certain Hall of Famers get more interest than others? I get for that era (my cards are from 1985-1993) there was probably consideration of what could be called "lesser players" because many of the players that were rookies at the time got caught up in the steroid controversy that were good players but not extraordinary in some way like Clemens or Bonds. Or Puckett and the perception that he was put in because of the untimely health issues he had. Or is off-field controversy a big play in people's minds now (like with Boggs and his extra-marital affair)?

So, what explains how some HOF players get solid and consistent interest and others that have similar or better stat lines are tepid?
Working...
X