Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisuke Matsuzaka Returns To Japan

Daisuke Matsuzaka returns to Japan to pitch for Softbank Hawks - ESPN

He was not worth the $100 million Red Sox had to pay to bring him over.

FUKUOKA, Japan -- Daisuke Matsuzaka has signed a contract with the Softbank Hawks of Japan's Pacific League after eight years in Major League Baseball.

The 34-year-old right-hander, who went 3-3 with 78 strikeouts and a 3.89 ERA for the New York Mets in 2014, led the Pacific League in wins three times with the Seibu Lions before signing a six-year, $52 million contract with the Boston Red Sox in 2006.

"This is a very solid team," Matsuzaka said at a news conference. "I remember from my days pitching in Japan how difficult they were to face. It should be a very enjoyable team to pitch for."

Terms of Matsuzaka's deal were not released.

In his first season in the majors. Matsuzaka helped Boston win the World Series in 2007. His best season was 2008, when he went 18-3 with 154 strikeouts and a 2.90 ERA but he didn't live up to expectations after that.

He finished 56-43 in 132 careers starts, with a 4.45 ERA.

The Hawks won the Japan Series in 2014 and are among the more successful teams in Nippon Professional Baseball.

"As we look to win the championship again, we think he can make a major contribution," Softbank chairman Sadaharu Oh said.

I thought he was going to do well with sell the hype. One of the reasons I though Yu wasn't going to do well.
    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Take out the 2008 season and his record would only be 38-40. That is a lot of money for a very average pitcher with one great season.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Hey Dude putting it like that he wasn't even average. He did a royal hosing of the Red Sox.

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
        Take out the 2008 season and his record would only be 38-40. That is a lot of money for a very average pitcher with one great season.
        http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Working...
        X