76ers Use Amnesty Waiver On Elton Brand, Claimed By Mavericks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76ers Use Amnesty Waiver On Elton Brand, Claimed By Mavericks

Philadelphia 76ers to release Elton Brand via amnesty clause, sources - ESPN

He never earned his contract with the Sixers. He never put up numbers similar to his Clipper/Bulls tenure.

The Philadelphia 76ers will release former All-Star Elton Brand under the league's amnesty clause, according to sources.

The move to release Brand will be necessitated by the expected signing of free-agent guard Nick Young and the planned re-signing of center Spencer Hawes.

Teams that did not use their one-time amnesty clause last season can waive one player via the amnesty provision between July 11-17 and see that player's contract figures vanish from the team's payroll for salary-cap and luxury-tax purposes.

Brand will still collect the full $18 million that the Sixers owe him next season, but he will first be offered to teams under the salary cap through the waiver process, with under-the-cap teams able to lodge bids for him.

Sources tell ESPN.com that the Dallas Mavericks, under the salary cap after being foiled in their pursuit of marquee free agent Deron Williams, have interest in claiming Brand through the waiver process.

In the event that he goes unclaimed on waivers, Brand would then be free to sign as a free agent wherever he chooses.

Source -- Dallas Mavericks to aggressively pursue Elton Brand - ESPN Dallas

The Dallas Mavericks will make a "very aggressive bid" for Elton Brand in the amnesty waiver process, a source close to the situation told ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan on Wednesday.

The Philadelphia 76ers have used their amnesty clause on the 6-foot-8 Brand, making him eligible for teams under the salary cap to put in bids. Whichever team places the winning bid will earn Brand's services and will pay that amount off the $18.2 million he's owed next season, the final year of his contract.

By virtue of using the amnesty clause on Brendan Haywood and agreeing to a one-year deal with fellow center Chris Kaman, the Mavs have a substantial amount of cap space to make a strong bid for Brand.

"(The Mavs) are going to save Philly a lot of money," the source said.

Comment

Dallas Mavericks claim Elton Brand off waivers with wining waiver bid - ESPN Dallas

Great move by Mavericks.

Elton Brand has been claimed off amnesty waivers by the Dallas Mavericks, the team announced Friday.

The Mavs won the rights to Brand with a winning bid of $2.1 million, according to sources close to the process.

The league's 30 teams were notified shortly after 5 p.m. ET Friday that the Mavericks had lodged the winning waiver bid for Brand, who was released Wednesday by the Philadelphia 76ers through the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement.

"Excited," Brand said when reached Friday by ESPN.com. "I figured that I'd be claimed [off waivers] and that's definitely the destination I was hoping for."

The Sixers will still have to pay out the remaining balance of the $18.2 million owed Brand this season in the final year of his contract.

Comment

Brand is done

Comment

But he will be great as a backup.

Comment

I think he is done and time to retire!
            I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Working...
            X