Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Hayward Out For Season With Fractured Ankle

Gordon Hayward unlikely to return this season after surgery on leg

BOSTON -- Celtics All-Star forward Gordon Hayward is unlikely to return during the 2017-18 season, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Hayward underwent surgery to repair a dislocated left ankle and a fractured tibia in Boston on Wednesday night, a procedure that Bartelstein labeled a success.

"We expect him to make a full recovery and return to his All-Star form," Bartelstein said.

Earlier Wednesday, Hayward taped a video message to Boston fans from his hospital bed, and it aired to thunderous applause before the Celtics' home opener on Wednesday night against the Milwaukee Bucks at TD Garden.

Wearing a hospital gown, Hayward told fans he'll be "all right" and said it pained him not to be with his teammates in Boston.

"What's up, everybody? I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has kept me in their thoughts and prayers," Hayward said. "I'm going to be all right. It's hurting me that I can't be there for the home opener; I want nothing more just to be with my teammates and walk out onto that floor tonight. I'll be supporting you guys from here. I wish you the best of luck. Kill it tonight."

Hayward, who was a free agent, signed a four-year, $128 million contract with the Celtics on July 1. The subsequent acquisition of Kyrie Irving put Boston firmly in the hunt in the Eastern Conference. According to ESPN's Bobby Marks, the team will likely be given an $8.4 injury exception to search for replacements for Hayward.

If Hayward is out for the season, the Celtics can collect on insurance by getting back 80 percent of the money it owes him for 41 games missed.

In all, the Celtics will be able to recoup $11.4 million (39 percent) of the $29.2 million the team owes Hayward this season.
Working...
X