Sunday Morning Soapbox: Powderpuff Pro Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Morning Soapbox: Powderpuff Pro Bowl

"I'll be honest with you, I was a little bit disappointed. I felt like some of the guys on the NFC side embarrassed themselves." "I wanted to give the fans a show, and make the Green Bay fans who watched and were watching for me and my teammates, I wanted to make them proud of their Pro Bowlers. I was just surprised that some of the guys either didn't want to play or when they were in there didn't put any effort into it." -Aaron Rodgers

Well said Mr. Rodgers... I've got your back and not because you're my favorite player.

I cringed when three defenders let Greg Jennings walk into the end zone for a touchdown. Then, rolled my eyes when I saw Jared Allen's ridiculous barrel roll. And the icing on the cake was watching twenty men wearing pads watch Drew Brees miss his drop kick extra point attempt. One word... SICKENING.

If you're going to play a game in front of fans and you're getting paid to do it, then (in my opinion) you should give your best effort. Oh I understand the whole "just don't get hurt" philosophy... but I don't agree with it. It's a contact sport and injuries are part of the game... which explains why these guys make huge amounts of money.

But obviously... it's not realistic for the players to risk their careers on a game that doesn't matter to anyone except an individual's pride. So what's the solution?

Personally... I think they should just get rid of the Pro Bowl altogether. I'd be just fine knowing that my favorite players have made the First or Second Team All-Pro. It's better than watching guys play "powderpuff football".

And the player's bonuses? Use the money to help the homeless, military veterans, or even education. Or if the NFL has to have some kind of event to fill up the Sunday before Super Bowl... then bring back the Quarterback Challenge and other skills events similar to ones the NHL & NBA has.

Thanks for listening to me stand up on my soapbox... now I encourage you to jump on yours:

What's your opinion of the Pro Bowl?

Okay... now that I've got the juices flowing... I'm ready burn off some calories walking around the flea market.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

The Pro Bowl is a joke the only problem getting rid of it would pretty much bring would be I believe some contractual incentives players have at this time are making it to the Pro Bowl. Don't quote me on that but I believe that's what I have heard.
    my bucket (always being updated): http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/tbbthelegend/

Jacksonville Jaguars Spreadsheet

Collection Jacksonville Jaguars - 3134 Total - 1080 Rookies - 616 Serial #ed - 185 Game Used - 243 Autos

so I'm always on the lookout if you want to work out a trade.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the "Pro Bowl" in name (for the incentive purposes) and then somehow change it to a skills challenge.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

well said. if they are going to play the game, they should do it right. I actually attended this year's game. I spent quite a bit for the experience. The game was entertaining for the wrong reasons...amusing. during several points of the game, the crowd was booing. they could have just played flag football.

Comment

It's a giant waste of time.
          Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Great point... that could pose a problem for contracts. Not sure why they couldn't amend the contract and make the incentive selection to the all-pro team instead.

Originally posted by sportscardrage View Post
            The Pro Bowl is a joke the only problem getting rid of it would pretty much bring would be I believe some contractual incentives players have at this time are making it to the Pro Bowl. Don't quote me on that but I believe that's what I have heard.
            Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

I'd love to see this take place... the game itself is what needs to go.

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
              I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the "Pro Bowl" in name (for the incentive purposes) and then somehow change it to a skills challenge.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

I remember hearing about the crowd's boos. My relatives who live on Oahu have been going since the 80's, but they haven't gone the past since they moved it to Miami in 2010 (2009 football season). I'm pretty sure they have no plans on going in the future... if there is a future.

Originally posted by rollandniles View Post
                well said. if they are going to play the game, they should do it right. I actually attended this year's game. I spent quite a bit for the experience. The game was entertaining for the wrong reasons...amusing. during several points of the game, the crowd was booing. they could have just played flag football.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whitney777 View Post
                  It's a giant waste of time.
                  100%

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X