Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants rookie David Wilson compares himself to birth control, thinks he’ll be a Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants rookie David Wilson compares himself to birth control, thinks he’ll be a Hall

In his first NFL game, New York Giants rookie running back David Wilson found himself in Tom Coughlin's doghouse after fumbling on just his second rushing attempt of his career, a costly fumble that derailed a possible scoring drive. That fumble may have contributed to Wilson receiving just four rushing attempts over the following three weeks, but it hasn't affected his confidence.

According to Bob Glauber of Newsday, Wilson just thinks the team needs to believe in him and he'll get the job done when called upon.

"I'm like birth control. You have to believe in me. Like birth control, 99.9 percent of the time I'm going to come through for you," Wilson said.

"I never know when that opportunity is coming, and that's why you have to stay prepared. But when I do get that opportunity, I'm going to get lost in the moment and keep it going. Once I get my chance to go out there and play football and do what I do, I'm not going to want to let go of that."

Flaws in the manufacturing process aside, Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has been reluctant to take Wilson out of his wallet since the Week 1 fumble. Overall, Wilson has logged just 67 snaps — 23 offense, 44 on special teams — this season, the fourth-lowest number of snaps among the 32 first-round picks in the 2012 NFL draft. His 23 snaps on offense are the second-lowest total for a 2012 first-round pick, ahead of only San Francisco 49ers wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, who has yet to crack his team's 46-man gameday roster.

Wilson has just 10 snaps on offense over the last three games, but is beginning to take advantage of his opportunities, which could lead to more playing time. In the last two weeks, however, Wilson has gained 79 yards on seven carries, including a 40-yard touchdown run against the Cleveland Browns in Week 5, the first touchdown of what Wilson expects to be a Hall of Fame career.

"I think at the end of my career, I'll be in the Hall of Fame," he said. "I know myself, and I know (when) I have guys around me that feel the same way, which I feel I do. When I get my opportunity, the sky is not the limit. I think it's past it. You have to believe in yourself to do good things. This is how I feel."

By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

You would think that this reality check would have toned down his cockiness.......comparable to Joe Flacco considering himself an "elite" quarterback.

Comment

Working...
    X