Jets' Rex Ryan voted 'most overrated coach' in NFL players poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets' Rex Ryan voted 'most overrated coach' in NFL players poll

With the NFL midseason culminating at the same time as the 2012 Presidential election, you best believe there's some fancy editorial polling ideas being tossed around in virtual newsrooms.

To wit: the Sporting News polled a bunch of players on different teams about who's the most overrated coach in the NFL. And your "winner" is ... Rex Ryan.

The Jets coach pulled in 35 votes, finishing far and away ahead of Bill Belichick, who came in second place with 16 votes. Andy Reid (9) was third, and Mike Shanahan (8) was fourth. Mike Tomlin (4), Jeff Fisher (3), Jim Harbaugh (3), Norv Turner (3), Pete Carroll (2) and Jason Garrett (2) rounded out the top 10.

"His coaching style is over the top," one AFC offensive player said of Ryan. "Some of the things he does in front of the cameras are way over the top. You put that with the New York media, and he has a pretty big reputation, I guess. I don't even know if you'd call him overrated anymore because it's gonna be a couple of years since he was in the AFC finals. He's pretty funny, and he's a pretty good coach. But not that good."

I might argue that Ryan isn't overrated in the slightest and that he's just over-hyped (much like his backup quarterback). The Jets aren't good this year. But they're missing a ton of major pieces to injury, and the personnel that Ryan's working with absolutely stinks.

There are some other flaws with this poll. Namely, in order to be "overrated" in the first place, you have to be considered "highly rated." Does anyone highly rate Norv Turner or Jason Garrett? I must have missed that memo.

And this is a poll of 103 players. That's not a huge sample size, and it should tell you something that 17 of 32 coaches all got a vote in this poll.

Then again, Ryan already said he's the "best defensive coach in football". And if he can't get the Jets into the top half of the team defensive standings by the end of the year, this poll could end up looking pretty prescient.

Plus, there's always the added bonus of the New York media asking Ryan about the poll during the week, which shouldn't result in any potent quotables whatsoever.

By Will Brinson
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets
Working...
X