Browns hire Alec Scheiner as prez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns hire Alec Scheiner as prez

BEREA, Ohio -- Alec Scheiner has been named the new president of the Cleveland Browns.

Scheiner, 39, will join Cleveland after eight years with the Cowboys. He was senior vice president and general counsel with Dallas the last five years.

Scheiner will quarterback the Browns' day-to-day business operations in his new post, which will begin Jan. 7.

Scheiner, raised in Lower Merion, Pa., attended Georgetown, and in 2008, took over the Cowboys' business operations, which included football analytics.

"I want to thank the Cowboys for making my eight years there some of the most rewarding of my professional career," Scheiner said. "I am looking forward to this challenge with the Browns, which I view as a tremendous opportunity to start at the ground level with a new and exciting leadership group."

Jimmy Haslam III, who bought the team over the summer, leads that group, which also includes new CEO Joe Banner.

"Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner have a great vision of what they want the Cleveland Browns to become and I am grateful to be able to be a part of it," Scheiner said. "The Browns are an iconic franchise with an outstanding fan base and tradition. Together, we hope to do incredible things for the organization."

Whether or not the coach will be with them -- as that long-term vision plays out -- remains to be seen. Cleveland began the season 0-5 under Pat Shurmur, who is in his second season. The Browns have persevered, though, and actually orchestrated a three-game winning streak late in the year. But they are still just 5-9 and in last place of the AFC North with two difficult games approaching -- Denver (11-3) and Pittsburgh (7-7) -- to end the season.

"We are extremely excited about the addition of Alec," Haslam said. "For many years, the Cowboys have been a leading innovator among NFL franchises, and Alec played an integral role in this success. We are confident that his expertise will be a tremendous asset, not only for our organization but our fans as well."

In 2010, Scheiner made the Sports Business Journal's "Forty Under 40" list.

"Our objective is to build the Browns organization with the best people in their respective fields, and we believe the hiring of Alec is indicative of this goal," Banner said. "Alec brings a wealth of experience and knowledge in many facets with one of the most successful franchises in the NFL."

Associated Press
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets
Working...
X