Report: Josh McDaniels would jump at the chance to coach Browns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Josh McDaniels would jump at the chance to coach Browns

Josh McDaniels first made his name as the coordinator behind the 2007 Patriots offense, a record-setting group that went undefeated in the regular season before losing in the Super Bowl to the Giants. McDaniels, just 31 at the time, parlayed that success into the Broncos' coaching job in 2009.

He got off to a fantastic start; Denver won its first six games before the bottom fell out. The Broncos finished 2-8 and missed the playoffs, and a 3-9 start in 2010 sealed McDaniels' fate. He resurfaced as the Rams offensive coordinator last season before rejoining the Patriots staff in 2012.

Now, two years after getting canned in Denver, McDaniels, 36, is apparently looking to be a head coach. A source told the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot that he "would jump at the chance to coach the Browns."

The team is under new ownership, and president Mike Holmgren resigned earlier this season. Joe Banner, the former Eagles president who was brought in as Cleveland's CEO, said Tuesday that he wouldn't take long to decide the futures of current coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert.

"I think we'll make the decisions quickly after the season," Banner said on a conference call with reporters announcing Alec Scheiner as the Browns' new president. "I don't want to say if it's one day or two days or three days, but I think it will be quickly."

Banner said that neither he nor new owner Jimmy Haslam had made up his mind, but the conversations are, as they say, ongoing:

"Obviously as time has gone on we've thought about it more, we've talked about it more, more factors that will influence the final decision have become clearer and clearer," Banner said. "I don't want to make it sound like we're in the same place we were two or four or six weeks ago. That has advanced quite a bit. But we're not at the point where we've made definitive decisions."

Banner declined to comment when asked about possible candidates to replace Shurmur (in addition to McDaniels, Oregon's Chip Kelly and Alabama's Nick Saban are making the rumor-mill rounds).

I'm going to stick with the same answer," he said. "Starting to go down the path of speculating on these things is not going to be helpful at this point. We're still going to decide at the end of the season on the people that are here and that will lead to whatever the next steps are."

It's unknown whether McDaniels would be on the Browns' short list or, more importantly, if he's learned anything from his stint with the Broncos. More certain, however: Shurmur will likely be looking for work in the coming weeks.

By Ryan Wilson
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Does any coach really want to jump at the chance to coach the brownies? Just sayin.
    "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

Does any team really want to jump at the chance to have Josh McDaniels. Boy did he screw the Broncos for a few years.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
        Does any team really want to jump at the chance to have Josh McDaniels. Boy did he screw the Broncos for a few years.
        This as well. I guess, on paper, it's a perfect match for screw-ups

Comment

Careful what you say. Browns backers are all over the place.
          I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Crum View Post
            Careful what you say. Browns backers are all over the place.
            Dem be fightin words, put ya dukes up!

Comment

Originally posted by B.I.G.Poppa View Post
              Dem be fightin words, put ya dukes up!

LOL think about this. The only other "LOSER" team that I can think of that have as rabid a fan base is The Cubs fans in baseball. But at least they have other sports to cary them through the lean er... century.

Cleveland hasnt won ANYTHING since when? 1948 unless you count the championships that were before the Super Bowl era. Sure we've been close. In football we had "The Drive", "The Fumble"
              Baseball had '54, '95, '97 and Yes the Cavs got swept out of the finals too.

But us Browns fans, we show up win or lose. Mostly lose!! I am 41 years old and I cant honestly remember the last time a Browns game was blacked out. Ive turned off the tube a few times though. The Browns Backers organization is in all 50 states. My Uncle comes home from Virginia once each fall to go to an early Browns game. Yes, the Browns fans are a surly bunch but we bleed Brown and Orange.
              I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Working...
              X