Roger Goodell says Jimmy Haslam 'is doing everything he's asked'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Goodell says Jimmy Haslam 'is doing everything he's asked'

A week after FBI and IRS officials locked down Pilot Flying J headquarters as part of an ongoing fraud investigation, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell met with Browns owner and Pilot Flying J president Jimmy Haslam.

“Jimmy is doing everything he's asked,” Goodell said, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot. “He's cooperating. He wants to make sure that he is doing all of the right things in that regard and he has assured us that he is going to [do all of the right things].”

A league spokesman said last week that "there are no such plans" for the NFL to ask Haslam to remove himself from the day-to-day operations of the Browns.

Meanwhile, Goodell made it clear that the NFL had no knowledge of the federal investigation when Haslam bought the Browns last summer.

“It's an investigation and it was held very tightly by the FBI and the authorities,” the commissioner said. “They didn't share this information with us and they shouldn't. That's something that is their prerogative.”

Last Thursday, Haslam told reporters that he had no plans to relinquish his role as president of Pilot Flying J, a family truck-stop business.

"Somebody asked me … if I would step down as president,'' Haslam said at the time. "I thought to myself, 'Why would I do that? Candidly, I haven't done anything wrong.''

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets
Working...
X