Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titans Fire Ken Whisenhunt As Coach

Ken Whisenhunt fired as coach of Tennessee Titans

The Tennessee Titans have fired Ken Whisenhunt less than two years into his tenure as the team's coach.

The Titans announced the decision Tuesday, promoting Mike Mularkey to interim coach. Titans interim CEO Steve Underwood and Mularkey will address the firing at a news conference Tuesday afternoon at 12:20 p.m. ET.

"After thoughtful consideration, the decision has been made to relieve Ken Whisenhunt of his head coaching duties," Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk said in a statement. "We have expected more progress on the field, and I felt it was time to move in a different direction. I would like to thank Ken for his efforts with our team, as he worked very hard to try to move us forward."

The Titans are 1-6 this year and went 3-20 overall under Whisenhunt, who signed a five-year contract with Tennessee prior to the 2014 season.

Titans linebacker Wesley Woodyard told ESPN that he was "very surprised" when he heard the news of Whisenhunt's firing.

"I'm very surprised," he said. "I felt 'Wiz' had a good relationship with the players and he kept all of us working hard to try and turn things around here."

The Titans have lost six straight games since their season-opening victory over the Buccaneers and 16 have dropped of their last 17 overall.

Tennessee also has lost its last 12 games against AFC opponents after a 20-6 loss Sunday to the Texans, the longest such skid by a team inside its conference in the NFL.

"Our win-loss total is not good so no matter what I say, it's not going to be good enough and you know all I can do is tell you we're going to work hard to swing it back the other way," Whisenhunt said Monday.

The Titans went 2-14 last season, allowing them to draft Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota at No. 2 overall.

Whisenhunt is the second head coach to be fired already this season. The Dolphins fired Joe Philbin last month after falling to 1-3 with their Week 4 loss to the Jets in London.

Win - loss total was not good, but I would have thought they would at least let him finish out the season to see if they could string together a couple of wins late in the season.
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Working...
    X