Movie Review: Trouble With the Curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Review: Trouble With the Curve

If there's one thing I enjoy, it's baseball and that's exactly why Trouble With The Curve was a movie I had to see. I went to the theater expecting the worst because I didn't want to be disappointed again like when I saw Fever Pitch. I had a feeling Trouble With The Curve was going to focus a lot on the personal story between Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams.

Trouble With The Curve follows a scout named Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood), who has worked for the Atlanta Braves organization for over 30 years. He's been one of the best scouts for decades, but his contract is up in three months and the organization begins to question his judgement. He's not finding the same talent he found 20 years ago and the Braves want to find someone younger to replace Gus.

The hottest prospect in baseball is about to enter the draft and the Braves might have an opportunity to draft him. The Braves want Gus to think about retirement but he refuses even with his bad eye sight. One of Gus'close friends in the organization turns to Gus' daughter, Mickey (Amy Adams), to help out. She works as an associate for an Atlanta law firm and has the opportunity to become a partner but she puts that her own career aside to try and save her father's career.

The movie focuses on their life in the past and why Gus did what he did. He wanted the best for his daughter and they spend a lot of time together on a road trip to see the next big thing in baseball. Along the way, they run into Johnny Flanagan (Justin Timberlake), a former major league pitcher who now scouts for the Boston Redsox. He has a tough choice when the MLB draft comes around and Gus gives him some advice.

----------

The movie was a little slow for me and there were certain parts where it became predictable. It was more about the family dynamic of Gus and Mickey. It was great to see those two grow closer together. In the end the audience finds out what "Trouble With the Curve" actually means. The film also gives a baseball fan a little side of the scouting profession. As a baseball fan, I can appreciate what most of those guys have to do everyday when they have to go watch a game and report back to their organizations.

Verdict: Wait to see it on DVD/ Blu-Ray

Become a fan of Los Angeles Inspiration on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter @LA_Inspiration

More...
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Working...
X