Summertime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summertime

It's official. My two and a half week summer break has arrived. What does that mean? Well... it means I get a chance to do the following:

1. Relax and sleep in.

2. Finish sorting the remainder of those 5,000ct. boxes.

3. Take my niece and nephew down to San Luis Obisbo.

4. Finally build and ship out the four "prize packages".

5. Get both of my cars washed.

6. Wrap up a few trades I'm involved in.

7. Catch up on Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, Hell on Wheels, and The Walking Dead.

8. Write and schedule a bunch of blog posts in advance.

9. Prepare for the two new subjects I'll be teaching next year.

10. And maybe... just maybe hit up a flea market.

In the meantime... I though I'd share the first card that came to mind when I thought of summer:

I'm pretty sure it's the first autograph I ever pulled from a pack. It's from a set produced back in 1992 called Beach Sports. It's primarily a beach volleyball set with surfing, windsurfing, and skateboarding sprinkled in. Back then beach volleyball was huge... well at least among my friends. We'd head over to Santa Cruz and play on a regular basis.

Anyways... that's pretty much why I ended up busting a few packs of this stuff when it arrived at the card shop. At the time, Michael Irvin was coming off of his first Pro Bowlseason and the Cowboys were finally turning things around. So you can imagine how excited I was when I pulled it from the pack. My boss at the card shop wanted me to sell it to him, but I decided to hold onto it. Huge mistake. These days you can pick up this autograph on eBay for under $40. Oh well. It's a piece of my collecting history and one of the handful of cards I decided to keep over the past twenty-something years.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Happy Wedneday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Congrats Fuji, I've previously read and enjoyed your blog. I hope your summer break goes well, and the developments on Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead don't leave you screaming at your tv .
    “We got a long ways to go.”-Deuce McCallister

LSU grad and Aaron Brooks + era Saints fan...Collector of all interesting and odd cards Saints and LSU related. I shoot for any LSU/Saints Autos and Relic cards that I don't have one of yet, and am attempting to build a collection of every saints draft pick rookie ever, additionally certain /25 card sets and Topps Chrome Rainbows, of the man himself, Sir Drew Brees.

Comment

No fair!! In Georgia, we started back to school last week. Kids came today! Football practice starts tomorrow!
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
        No fair!! In Georgia, we started back to school last week. Kids came today! Football practice starts tomorrow!
        You started school the first week of August? Wow! When does your school get out? Our schools start August 18th and won't end until 3 days after Memorial Day. Outrageous. They actually take a week break for Thanksgiving. Crazy. As a kid, we got 2 days off for Thanksgiving, started school the 3rd week of August and let out in the middle of May(barring any snow days). It seems like today, schools are trying to find a way for kids to be in school 12 months a year.

Comment

Lol. That's what makes both of those so awesome. I remember the first time watching the wedding episode. Words cannot describe the emotions running through my mind when I saw what happened. I've seen it several times now and it still upsets me.

Originally posted by tzofosho View Post
          Congrats Fuji, I've previously read and enjoyed your blog. I hope your summer break goes well, and the developments on Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead don't leave you screaming at your tv .

Have a great school year!

Originally posted by ucffans View Post

Lol. We start the 3rd week of August and get out the 2nd week of June. But at least we get the week off at Thanksgiving.

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
          You started school the first week of August? Wow! When does your school get out? Our schools start August 18th and won't end until 3 days after Memorial Day. Outrageous. They actually take a week break for Thanksgiving. Crazy. As a kid, we got 2 days off for Thanksgiving, started school the 3rd week of August and let out in the middle of May(barring any snow days). It seems like today, schools are trying to find a way for kids to be in school 12 months a year.
          Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

I could post these for days. Sorry for any potential spoilers, but if you haven't seen GOT by now, you deserve to have it spoiled. You don't deserve nice things.
            “We got a long ways to go.”-Deuce McCallister

LSU grad and Aaron Brooks + era Saints fan...Collector of all interesting and odd cards Saints and LSU related. I shoot for any LSU/Saints Autos and Relic cards that I don't have one of yet, and am attempting to build a collection of every saints draft pick rookie ever, additionally certain /25 card sets and Topps Chrome Rainbows, of the man himself, Sir Drew Brees.

Comment

Nice... so true. so true. I wish the next season would hurry up and get here already.

Originally posted by tzofosho View Post

I could post these for days. Sorry for any potential spoilers, but if you haven't seen GOT by now, you deserve to have it spoiled. You don't deserve nice things.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X