Mike Modano Retires After 21 Seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Modano Retires After 21 Seasons

Mike Modano announced Wednesday that he is retiring after 21 seasons in the NHL, a career that includes a Stanley Cup championship along with 561 goals and 1,374 point - both of which are records for U.S. born players.

Mike Modano retires after 21 seasons in NHL - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Sayonara Salute #13: Mike Modano

Four months ago, I posted an article about Mike Modano. In it... I wrote about the possibility that he had played the final game of his NHL career against the San Jose Sharks.

Today, it looks like he confirmed it on Facebook:

Modano is one of the greatest Americans to ever strap on skates and he will be missed my many hockey fans... including me. As mentioned in my previous Modano article, he is a guy that I Hate to Love, because the two NHL franchises he skated for are both Sharks' rivals. However, it's impossible for me not to love the guy. His rookie cards are found in 1990-91 products...

1990/91 OPC Premier #74
    1990/91 Upper Deck #46 (American)
    1990/91 Upper Deck #46 (French)

which happened to be the first year I started busting packs of hockey. All three of these cards have been in my collection since back in the day. He's one of the handful of athletes that I decided to hang onto over the years.

Two decades later, he's retiring with 561 NHL goals and 1,374 NHL points... both records among American-born NHL skaters.

His retirement is sort of a sweet and sour kind of moment, where I'm glad he won't score anymore goals against the Sharks... but at the same it's sad because NHL fans will no longer have the opportunity to witness him skate.

Sayonara Mr. Modano! You're a class act and a hockey legend. Enjoy your retirement... because you've earned it.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

good bye mike

Comment

Working...
      X