Sayonara Salute #15: Mike Grier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sayonara Salute #15: Mike Grier

Today Mike Grier announced his retirement after spending fourteen years in the NHL. Mr. Grier is the first African-American hockey player to make significant contributions on the ice.

The St. Louis Blues drafted him in the 9th round of the 1993 NHL Draft, but was traded to the Edmonton Oilers before skating his first NHL game. He spent his first six seasons with them and eventually was traded a few more times, before signing with San Jose in 2006.

Although I knew of Mr. Grier from collecting cardboard in the 90's... I didn't know much about him. However... during his three years in the Bay Area, he grew into a fan favorite, who always skated hard. He may not have been the greatest scorer or assist man, but he definitely brought "passion" to the team.

Enjoy your retirement Mr. Grier... you deserve it!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X