Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues Sign Martin Brodeur To 1 Year Deal

St. Louis Blues sign Martin Brodeur - ESPN

Martin Brodeur is officially back in the NHL.

The St. Louis Blues signed the NHL's all-time winningest goalie to a one-year deal Tuesday.

A source told ESPN.com that the pro-rated deal is worth $700,000 in base salary. In addition, Brodeur can make the following performance-based bonuses: $10,000 for every point in the standings he earns while the goalie of record; $125,000 for being on an NHL roster on Feb. 1; and $125,000 for being on an NHL roster March 4. In addition, the contract includes playoff bonuses tied to the team winning rounds and Brodeur's own playing time during the run.

Brian Elliott's knee injury last week prompted the Blues to invite Brodeur to practice with the team for a few days in a feeling-out period for the sides.

"It feels great," Brodeur told stlouisblues.com. "I really appreciate the opportunity for me to be here the last few days. It definitely worked out real well. I'm excited for this fresh start."

Brodeur, 42, never has worn an NHL uniform other than New Jersey's.

"It's going to feel great, it's going to definitely be different," Brodeur told stlouisblues.com. "Not just for me, but for the fans. I've turned the page, and this is a new beginning that hopefully will come off with something great."

The 10-time All-Star is the league's all-time leader in wins (688) and shutouts (124). He also won three Stanley Cup titles and has captured the Vezina Trophy four times.

Brodeur was 19-14-6 last season with a 2.51 goals-against average and a .901 save percentage for the Devils, low numbers by his career marks of 2.24 GAA and .912 save percentage.

Elliott is week-to-week with the injury. Jake Allen has started in his place.

"Marty still has the desire to compete and his resume speaks for itself," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong told stlouisblues.com. "It seemed like an easy solution."
Working...
X