Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Hughes Retires From MMA

Matt Hughes: “It Looks Like I'm Fully Retired”

Technically does anyone ever really stay retired? Randy Couture and B.J. Penn retired and came back to fight. Hughes was a bad dude in the Octagon and one of the best fighters during the mid 2000s. Glad he decided to hang it up for good instead of staying too long like Chuck Liddell did and Wanderlei Silva is doing right now.

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes hasn't competed for more than a year, and it appears that will be the last time he steps foot in the Octagon.

Already a UFC Hall of Fame inductee, Hughes has been out of action since dropping back-to-back bouts to B.J. Penn and Josh Koscheck between 2010 and 2011, but now he seems ready to move on with life after fighting.

In a recent interview with the Iowa Daily Gate, Hughes said that while he's never officially announced his retirement from MMA, for all intents and purposes he's already hung up the gloves.

“I’ve not announced my retirement, but right now it looks like I’m fully retired,” Hughes said in the interview. “The UFC still treats me well, so I can be retired. It’s just funny, when God puts you on a road, you don’t know where you are going. I have all the faith that he put me there, and I have to thank him from that.”

Hughes went on to say that he rarely trains any more outside of an occasional training session with Robbie Lawler or B.J. Penn, and spends most of his time working on his family farm.

Hughes also has a hunting show that he will continue to work on that airs on the Outdoor Channel.

If Hughes' career truly is at an end, he will retire as a two-time UFC welterweight champion with 18 wins inside the Octagon.
Working...
X