Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball

Set Features
    • Topps updates N147 Gypsy Queen with vibrantly colored, elegantly designed base cards, relic and autograph cards, original art cards, printing plates, stamp relic cards, and a unique box loader concept!
    • Issued in 1887, the N174 Gypsy Queen baseball card set featured sepia images of over 130 baseball players of the era on elegantly designed cards. Topps modernizes the original with vibrantly colored base cards, relic and autograph cards, original art cards, printing plates, and Gypsy Queen inserts!

Each 24-Count Hobby Box Contains
    • 2 Autograph Cards
    • 2 Relic Cards
    • One 10-Card Mini Box Loader

CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS
    • BASE CARDS - 8 Per Pack
    • Veterans, Retired Players & Rookies - 400 subjects
    • Short-printed Variation Cards - 50 subjects

PARALLEL CARDS - 1 Per Pack
    • Stamp Relic Card - The entire 450 base set paralleled! Each card is highlighted with a stamp commemorating the player's city/state/country of origin. Numbered to 10.
    • Framed Paper - All 450 base cards beautifully embellished with a paper frame overlay and numbered to 999 - 1 per Hobby Box!
    Gold - 100 subjects from the base set daubed with bright UV coating and foil stamped "Gypsy Queen" - 1 per Pack!

MINI PARALLEL CARDS - 1 Per Pack
    • Gypsy Queen Leather - The base set paralleled on diminutive, durable, simulated leather cards and numbered to 10. Hobby only!
    • Gypsy Queen Sepia Tone - A nod to the original as these sepia toned card fronts flaunt all 450 Gypsy Queen base card subjects.
    • Gypsy Queen Back - The historic Gypsy Queen logo highlights the card backs of this base card parallel.
    • Gypsy Queen Black Border - A black border surrounds these card fronts and backs.
    • Minis - The 450-card base set miniaturized! 1 per Pack!
    • Mini Variations - 100 players are selected and showcased on variation cards inserted exclusively in the mini box! - Hobby only!

AUTOGRAPH CARDS - 2 Per Box!
    • Triple Autograph Relic Cards - These cards feature 3 players, 3 autographs and 3 game-used swatches. Ten cards in all and numbered to 10.
    • Dual Autograph Relic Cards - 2 players, 2 autographs and 2 game-used relics. Ten cards in all and numbered to 15.
    • Autograph Relic Cards - 20 players sign their name directly on each of these cards also displaying a game-used memento. Numbered to 25.
    • Autograph Mini Relic Cards - These framed minis exhibit both an on-card autograph and a relic from 20 players. Numbered to 25.
    • Autograph Cards - ON-CARD autographs from veterans, rookies and retired stars.
    • 60th Anniversary Autographed Cards - Sixty players past and present have signed these cards along with an additional inscription wishing Topps a "Happy 60th!" All autographs and inscriptions are signed directly on each card numbered to 60. Three players' cards will be inserted into each baseball product throughout 2011.

RELIC CARDS - 2 Per Box
    • Relic Cards - Game-used bats or jerseys from 30 veterans and legends enhance these cards.
    • Mini Relic Cards - Game-used bats or jerseys of veterans and retired stars enhance these framed cards.
    • ORIGINAL ART PATCH CARDS - Each of these 50 unique player portrait cards are hand-drawn and are ornamented with a game-used patch.

INSERT CARDS - 18 Per Box
    • The Great Ones - Honoring 30 legends who have led the league in a statistical category.
    • Home Run Heroes - 25 veterans and retired stars who have lead the league in Home Runs or had game-changing Home Runs.
    • Future Stars - 20 promising up and comers.
    • All insert cards also appear as a mini parallel at a rate of 3 per mini box.

PRINTING PLATES - One of One!
    • Printing Plates - One of One versions of the 450 card base set.
    • Mini Printing Plates - 625 subjects from the base, short-prints, mini variations and insert card sets highlighted as 1 of 1 framed printing plates.

BOX LOADER
    • 6 mini parallels, 3 mini inserts and 1 exclusive mini variation card in every mini box.

BONUS HITS
    • Insert Cards - A colorful caravan of 20 mysterious Gypsy Queens
    • Autograph Cards - Personally inscribed by each intriguing Gypsy Queen
    • Jewel Cards - Each of the Gypsy Queens is featured with a magical talisman.

Our 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Break

Base Cards

The base cards have a very cool retro look to them. Topps did a great job with a very realistic art brush type design. We pulled 192 out of the 350 card base set with only 1 double.

Inserts

The Great Ones insert set features some of the great baseball players from the past. The cards have a unique brown border around the player photo. We pulled 6: Bob Gibson, Frank Robinson, Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle, Walter Johnson, and Cy Young. We also pulled a Thurman Munson mini version.

The Future Stars insert set is dedicated to some of the young up and coming stars in Baseball. The cards have a blue type of border around the player photo. We pulled 6: Yonder Alonso, Desmond Jennings, Trevor Cahill, Jason Heyward, Buster Posey, and David Price. We also pulled a David Price mini version.

The Home Run Heroes set features some of the best home run hitters to play the game. The card has a solid green border around the player photo. We pulled 6: Prince Fielder, Manny Ramirez, Andre Dawson x2, Jimmie Foxx, and Mel Ott. We also pulled a David Ortiz mini version.

This insert set consists of various Gypsy Queens. The card has a yellow/brown border around the photo. We pulled a Zenda Oradea card.

Parallels

The mini parallels have the same design as the regular base cards. They fall on average 1 per pack. We pulled 24: Matt Kemp, Christy Mathewson, Jon Lester, Roy Oswalt, Hanley Ramirez, Matt Holliday, Jimmy Rollins, Justin Morneau, Chris Volstad, Carlos Quentin, Kosuke Fukudome, Brennan Boesch, Russell Martin, Alexei Ramirez, Gerardo Parra, Brian Matusz, Chris Johnson, Miguel Tejada, Cameron Maybin, Yunesky Maya, Johnny Damon, Chad Billingsley, Derek Lowe, and Brian McCann.

The Gypsy Queen back mini parallels have the same design as the base cards, however on the back of the card has the picture of a Gypsy Queen instead of the stats of the player. We pulled 4: CC Sabathia, Aaron Rowand, Mike Aviles, and Miguel Tejada.

The Gypsy Queen black bordered mini parallels have the same design as the base cards, however they have a black border which makes the card stand out more. We pulled 2: Curtis Granderson and Bernie Williams.

Serial Numbered

We pulled 1 Gypsy Queen mini Sepia parallel numbered card. The card has a nice black and white design to it. Each card from this set is numbered to 99. The card we pulled is of Joe Mauer.

The Gypsy Queen Framed Paper cards have the same design as the base cards, but the border has a maroon colored frame around the player photo. Each card is numbered to 999. We pulled 6: Roy Halladay, Troy Tulowitzki, Andre Dawson, Matt Holliday, Mat Latos, and Duke Snider.

Relic Card

We pulled an Alex Rodriguez Relic Card and Ryan Braun Relic Card from our box. These Relic Cards have a clean design to them. The background behind the player makes the card stand out more.

Autograph Card

We pulled a Nelson Cruz Autograph and Jon Jay Autograph from our box. The Autograph has a great card design and is signed in a blue marker.

Topps has announced that not all hobby boxes include the originally solicited 2 Autograph & 2 Relic Card guarantee. Any customer missing an Autograph from their box will be taken care of. Please mail in the box UPC code to Topps to receive a Gypsy Queen replacement Autograph Card. Please Send to

The Topps Company Inc
    P.O. Box 2036
    Duryea, PA 18642

Final Thoughts

I thought Topps did a great job with the card design. You have to love the on-card autographs and the Relic Cards look very solid. This box is great for set builders with 350 cards in the base set along with mini and parallel versions of each card. There are 50 short printed base cards so the chase to get those should be exciting for many collectors.

Product Rating
    • Value = 3
    • Innovation = 5
    • Fun and Experience = 5
    • Rebuy Value = 4

I rate this product a B for Topps!

NPN Information

Open only to U.S./Canadian (except Quebec) residents. For a chance to obtain any of the cards listed above, at the same odds while supplies last, hand print your name and complete address on a 3x5 card and mail in a #10 envelope to

NPN 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball
    P.O. Box 2008
    Duryea, PA 18642

Only one card per envelope, mailed separately, postmarked by July 20, 2011 and received by July 27, 2011. No Metered mail. Limit 1 request per household for 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball. Failure to comply will result in all entries being disqualified. Drawings on or about August 3, 2011. Potential Canadian winners will be required to first correctly answer the mathematical skill-testing question. Include on a 3x5 card the answer to the following skill-test question: 20 x 6 + 10 - 5 = ?

I would like to thank Topps for giving me the chance to review this new product.

Support the sponsors that support Card Collectors World!
    Last edited by gladdyontherise; 07-11-2011, 11:03 AM.

love the look of this product.. opened one hobby box myself

Kazmir Collection 1621/2986 - 54.2%

like Mohammed Ali I float like a butterfly
    but sting like poison ivy

My tradesite

Comment

Great Job on the review super Product the Qyspsy queens are those real Gyspsys?
      Collecting CLEVELAND BROWNS,BRUINS,nascar
      Collecting Cleveland Browns.

Comment

Nice review. I like the inclusion of the mini cards. It reminds me of when Topps use to make those Bazooka mini cards for their basketball products in the mid 2000s.

Comment

Fantastic Review....on a Fantastic Product!

Have picked up a few packs from the LCS. He isn't able to get in anymore boxes. I do have a buddy who went to his LCS (about 50 miles away) and was told $175.00 per box.

Really wanted to bust a box or two....sweet product!
          Randy
          United States Air Force, Retired
          ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
          balance of life, an individual diagnosed
          with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

i love the design on these cards I think this is a nice product
            U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
            Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
            Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Nice review, Dan.

I was disappointed to see that you were shorted 2 hits! Glad they're fixing that.
              - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Comment

Another nice Topps product. You would think with them being the primary MLB contract that they would start slacking. But this stuff is really cool. I love the look of these, and love all of the different parallels and inserts. Very cool stuff. Great review too. Tons of info in there.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
                Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
                Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
                MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
                NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
                NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
                NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
                I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Nice! I just got my 3 replacement autos in yesterday. They weren't too bad either. I just wish the price wasn't so much now. Check base cards anything above 300 is a SP and is worth anywhere from $5 -15.

Leland
                  I am looking for: JJ Watt, Kawhi Leonard, George Springer, Carlos Correa, Jose Altuve, Panini Points...
                  http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z260/leedawg62/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/143859720@N05/albums
                  I don't deal outside the US

Comment

good hits.. great review bud

Comment

Love Gypsy Queen....reminds me a lot of Ginter, which is my favorite set. Sucks that you got shorted two hits, but the two actual hits were both solid.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
                      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
                      Johnson/Mears/
                      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Great review and I love the look of Gypsy Queen,I picked up a couple of Target blasters and will be picking up more.

Great job Topps.

Roy
                        Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Cool looking product and great review!
                          TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
                          A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Dan great review. I really like gypsy queen. It is alike a few gnerations collided and psit out a collectors dream. Looks classy and love the subsets. On card auto as well on a perfect designed card. Nothing detracts.. Great job TOPPS!

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

i would like to get a marie laveau rookie! seriously these look fantastic

Great Traders:cardjim,TomR,avsbruins65,Leafsfan1967,ty4o rce,bumpersample,NattyBoo,fatfrank,DoubleD

MY EBAY: http://shop.ebay.com/chefmc/m.html?_...&_trksid=p3686

Comment

Working...
                              X