1961 Post Cereal High Grade Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Post Cereal High Grade Find

They were printed on cardboard, shipped to grocery stores, shuffled into carts and wound up on the breakfast table of families who weren’t really that concerned about the box itself.

Only that it had cereal inside.

Post’s four-year early 1960s run of baseball cards has thus produced thousands of lower grade examples that have settled into collections across North America.

Then there are others.

“We received a consignment of high grade 1961 Post Cereal cards from a collector who found us when researching their values and came across our completed listings,” said Scott Greenwald of Just Collect, eBay’s largest seller of vintage sports cards.

High grade may be an understatement.* What popped out of the box were some of the most incredible 1961 Post Cereal cards known.* The run includes PSA 9s and 10s–among the most scarce modern era cards in the mint and gem mint classification.

Unlike pre-cut Topps cards of the era, the 1961-1963 Post cards came connected to each other on the backs of the cereal boxes.* Kids and scissors often produced some creative cuts.** Cards with excess space around the borders can sometimes be cut and graded today, a unique, if not nerve-wracking experience.

“The secret to grading Post cards and other hand cut issues is that you need to leave the entire border,” Greenwald said.* “Don’t cut on the line but instead cut just outside the line.”

Included in the group now listed on eBay are a 1961 Post Ron Santo rookie card in PSA 10 (population 2), along with nine other PSA 10s and 13 cards graded 9.* Of the 23 cards listed, none are higher than a pop 4.

Last year, Just Collect also received a high-grade consignment featuring Post cards; that one made up of* a number of uncut back panels.

“They are special for many reasons,” Greenwald said of the cards now celebrating their 50th birthday.

“They’re a unique issue, coming with kid’s cereal.* As you can see from the consignment we have listed, they are extremely rare in high grade.”

Here’s a link to the listings.

More...

Oh man, those are awesome! I have one card from each year in my Vintage PC as well.....

1961 Post Al Kaline #35
    1962 Post Harmon Killebrew #85
    1963 Post Al Kaline #51

TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
    A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brads55 View Post
      Oh man, those are awesome! I have one card from each year in my Vintage PC as well.....

1961 Post Al Kaline #35
      1962 Post Harmon Killebrew #85
      1963 Post Al Kaline #51

um.....scan or ban?...lol...would love to see them!
      Randy
      United States Air Force, Retired
      ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
      balance of life, an individual diagnosed
      with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

I just checked to see if I had them scanned already and unfortunately I do not. I'll have to dig them out and scan them up...
        TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
        A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Working...
        X