Here we go... 1969 Topps Project: Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go... 1969 Topps Project: Part 1

I've made the decision to take the plunge. I'm going to start building my first vintage set. Obviously, vintage is relative term. But I think I'm pretty safe to call the 1969 Topps set vintage. I was born that year, so I thought it would be a good place to start. (Yes, I know it's a very original idea, isn't it?) So off we go into the wide world of vintage cards...

I've had this card for a while, and if you've been following my blog from its inception, you'll remember me talking about my first TTM success. Here in all its glory, is the first card in my quest to complete the '69 Topps set.

This is card #415 Ray Washburn. I sent Ray the card in the mail to autograph, and he very graciously complied with my request. Much appreciated, Mr. Washburn.

In 1968, Ray had his best year with a record of 14-8, a 2.26 ERA, 124Ks, and a no-hitter against the SF Giants at Candlestick Park on 9/18 of that year. Interestingly, Washburn's no-no came the day after Gaylord Perry pitched a no-hitter against the Cards, beating my long-time hero, Bob Gibson. It's the first time in Major League history that back-to-back no- hitters were pitched in the same series. Ray also pitched (and won) game 3 of the World Series that year against the Tigers, allowing 4 hits, and 3 earned runs.But he turned around and lost game 6 of the '68 series 13-1. The Tigers went on to win the series in 7 games. Ray saw a bit of a slump in '69 and he was traded to the Reds after the end of the season. (Thank you, Wikipedia for all the info.)

So I'm 1/664th of the to my goal. I'm very encouraged by my impressive progress on this set, to date. Wish me luck!

Side note: Don't forget to sign up for the Armchair QB Challenge. There's a Thursday night game this week (Ravens @ Falcons in the Battle of the Birds), so get me your players from that game before the kick-off Thursday night.

More...
    Voted the #1 sports blog on the internet.........by ME!!!
    sigpic
Working...
X