MVP (My Vintage Pick-ups) #1: Rose, Ryan, & Robinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP (My Vintage Pick-ups) #1: Rose, Ryan, & Robinson

I've been collecting cards off and on for 30 years now... and during that time my interests and goals have changed more times than Brett Favre's decision to retire.

Once upon a time... I collected sports cards as an investment. Sadly... when I sold off the majority of my collection ten years ago... I took a huge loss... but at least I was able to buy a place. That experience has definitely made an impact on the way I collect today. Sure there is a part of me that looks for a good deal that I can one day flip and make a profit. But these days... I mostly collect cards that interest me... and don't put too much emphasis on investment.

Rookies, inserts, parallels, autographs, memorabilia cards, and vintage cards have all at one time or another been an interest of mine. These days, when it comes to my player & team PC's, I mainly trade for autographs and memorabilia cards.

But... I actually collect all of the above. I just don't bother to really trade for the other stuff, because these days I can pick up rookies, inserts, parallels, and vintage cards at unbelievable prices online. As we all know... most autographs and memorabilia cards values have softened as well... but from my experience, not quite as much as the others.

I was actually quite shocked to see how affordable vintage cards of star players have become. I actually stopped collecting vintage years ago, because I just couldn't afford the cards I wanted.

Then... I started searching for certain cards on COMC and boy was I surprised with what I found. I was able to find a bunch of cards at really affordable prices. Now before I show off My Vintage Pick-ups (MVP)... let me just say one thing: I know the condition of these cards are not the greatest... but for the price I paid... I could care less.

1960 Topps #335 Red Schoendienst
    1956 Topps #228 Mickey Vernon
    1961 Topps #297 Kansas City Athletics

1965 Topps #383 Felipe Alou
    1977 Topps #70 Johnny Bench
    1976 Topps #600 Tom Seaver

1974 Topps #55 Frank Robinson
    1969 Topps #385 Orlando Cepeda
    1976 Topps #355 Steve Carlton
    1977 Topps #650 Nolan Ryan

1978 Topps #20 Pete Rose
    1965 Topps Embossed #58 Ernie Banks
    1975 Topps #260 Johnny Bench

1970 Topps #10 Bob Griese
    1971 Topps #3 Marty Schottenheimer RC
    1971 Topps #100 John Brodie
    1971 Topps #10 Lance Alworth

It's nice to know that you can pick up some vintage cards of some HOFers, a few fan favorites, and a team card of your favorite team... for a little over $1 a card.

I won't be putting any of these into my parent's safe, because none of these carry any true monetary value. But the history and memories behind these cards are truly priceless.

There's one more thing that makes cheap, vintage cards sweet. These are going to look much better in a binder on my office bookshelf... which I'm able to pull down whenever I want and enjoy... rather than sitting in a dark box that is over 350 miles away.

Okay... now onto today's contest entry...

Describe one of your PC's.
    Why is it special to you?
    How long have you been building it?

If your new to my blog... here are a couple of my unusual PC's that I've been putting together:

I've been slowly building my damaged card PC for almost 15 years. Whenever I obtain a damaged card, I add it to the collection. I figure... I can't trade them to other collectors... so I might as well make the most of it. My favorite card is easily the Stan Musial autograph that I pulled from a pack of Donruss Signature years ago.

The sports bust PC is a little newer. This collection was started after I realized nobody wanted to trade for my Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, or Michael Olowokandi autographs. I'd estimate that about 30% of the cards were in my tradebait... and the rest I've picked up at bargain prices. It's a cheap way to collect and have a quick laugh at my cardboard investment failures.

Well... that's it for tonight. Have a good weekend everyone... and thanks again for everyone's participation in this year's contest.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X