One of a kind Cal Ripken error card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of a kind Cal Ripken error card

I'm trying to figure out the value of what I believe is a one of a kind error card. It's the 1996 Score 2131 Card Baltimore Orioles card, but whoever stamps the card, did it upside down and on the wrong side. There's a shadow box on the front where the stamp is supposed to be. I've looked all over and haven't seen this anywhere. I figure for a true Cal Ripken jr can this should be "the card" to want. But assessing a value and finding the buyer are two things I'm unsure of. I threw it on eBay for $499, but don't have a clue as to how to get it seen.

Not really an error card. More like a damaged card. Kind of like when you open a pack and the card has a defect on the bottom where it was caught in the machine that sealed the pack.

Consider this: Cards are printed in sheets, so if one of these cards was stamped upside down, then every card on that sheet would be an "error" card. The fact that it made it thru quality control doesnt make it special.

The regular issue card is $2, so I don't see how you'll get $499 for what is, more or less, just a damaged card.
    Last edited by jwgreen68; 10-24-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I agree with Green. I'm not quite sure that this card is any more valuable than the original. Maybe should have set the price at $2.99...

But hey, if someone gives you $499 for it then please give me their email. I have a ton of things I would dump on that guy. )

Comment

Meh; I'll see what happens. To me a one of a kind item is a one of a kind item. I was offered $200 10 years ago and turned it down. Looks like I shoulda taken it perhaps. Still, to a Cal Ripken JR fan, this could still be seen as a must have. ESP since it's the commemaritve card.

Comment

The hard part with a one of a kind cards is that it is difficult to find a value on it. It is only worth what someone would be willing to pay. Personally, I would never want a 1/1 card even though I know some others do.
          Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
          Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
          Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Just to let you know, I'm a Ripken/Orioles collector (over 2,500 different Ripken's) and I'd never pay $499 for such a card. Interesting card though, but it sure doesn't look as good as the regular one. It would have been better if the "print" had just been left off, instead of being put upside down on the back. Also, some error cards have little, if any, value. I have a card (not Ripken though) that has a complete blank front, with a printed back only, and it's worth very very little.

Have a good day.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
            Baseball HOFers Autos I need
            Orioles Autos I need
            Baseball HOFers GU I need
            Orioles GU I need
            Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
            However other offers will be considered

Comment

Error Card

Originally posted by accfan01 View Post
              I agree with Green. I'm not quite sure that this card is any more valuable than the original. Maybe should have set the price at $2.99...

But hey, if someone gives you $499 for it then please give me their email. I have a ton of things I would dump on that guy. )
              I agree with the theory that if you want to see the true 'collector' value of this card then start it an auction at 9.99 and let it run. Hype it up as an error or 1/1, what ever you feel necessary and cross your fingers. BUT, when you look at Ebay and see a Willie Stargell 1/1 Bat Knob sells for $419 and a White Whale 1/1 Stan Musial auto sells for $405, then that puts perspective on your card. While it may be 'rare', it is not in the same class as these cards nor will ever be in that group. Even the 'blank-back' Ripken Topps RC only sold for $50 on Ebay, so use that as a gauge. I am not trying to dispute your value, I am just trying to save you the headache of re-listing it until you eventually get down to $9.99. If you truly feel that it has that much value, the start it low and let the hobby prove you right or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
                The hard part with a one of a kind cards is that it is difficult to find a value on it. It is only worth what someone would be willing to pay. Personally, I would never want a 1/1 card even though I know some others do.
                Brett, I think you're the minority. Most collectors would desire 1/1's because it would set their collection apart from others. Try chasing a White Whale, it's within your grasp, only to have your tablet freeze with 10 seconds to go on the auction. Or worse yet, have it totally taken out of your control when the post office loses a 1/1 printing plate. That doesn't mean your collection is any less, its what it means to you that counts.

I agree with Murphy and Rodney. There are many ways to get attention to the card on an ebay auction. Try 2006 Score Cal Ripken JR. Error(?) 1/1(?) LQQK. Be sure to include pics of the front and back. In the item description, include anything you'd like the potential bidder/buyer to know. And be prepared to answer questions. You can either start the bidding low and accept the outcome or set a reserve. Or you could start the bidding high and have a BIN/OBO.

Comment

Jerry - you are probably right, I am in the minority. However, I like the authenticity of a in-person autograph or even a TTM as opposed to a certified. To me, it seems more authentic. A certified auto is great, but that makes it seem like it was their job and they say down and auto'd 500 cards. If you get an in person autograph, it means more to me.

That is what makes this hobby great. People collect what they want and value it for whatever reason. The experience to me makes it great. I have no interest in buying autographed bats, but I have 2 that I got in person which I really like.
                  Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                  Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                  Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I disagree.The card is more of a misprint rather than an error and it's certainly not damaged.

Good eye to the OP for spotting it.

I do agree letting the auction ride at a much lower price and finding that hidden Ripken collector.I would just hope that there's two of them to make the auction go anywhere.

GLWS

Comment

IMO this card qualifies as a misprint. And, nobody really knows how many were slipped into packs. I have paid a premium for Jim Thome misprints but when I say premium, im talking a couple of bucks. Good luck to the OP hopefully he gets something for it.
                      I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Realistically I'm looking for the $200 I was offered 10 years ago I guess. I've been around and have NEVER seen this before. When my listing runs out (if no one bites, lol) I'll relist it at $199. There's no way I could stomach losing it at $9.99 and watching it sell for less than $200 at this point. I'm certain that if I had a brick and motor shop in Baltimore it would fetch quite a bit. That's obviously not the case though.....

Comment

Working...
                        X