Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jordan SPX error card w/Stackhouse

Hello everyone,

I am new to the boards and wanted to get some thoughts on a card I have been holding onto for the last 20 years. It's the 96' Upper Deck SPX series, the basic cards have the silver border and then there were the gold boarder inserts. Each card has a hologram in the background. Twenty years ago I opened a pack and inside was a Michael Jordan, just the basic silver card. However the hologram in the background features Jerry Stackhouse instead of Jordan.

For years I wondered if I had a one of a kind error card. However given at the time Stackhouse was thought to be by many the next Jordan esque player and the fact they were both UNC grads, I had a hard time believing this was just some random error card. However I never saw anything posted about it, never saw it listed anywhere, and never heard of another one. I put it away and forgot about it until last night.

I was going through my old cards and came across this one. I did a search and saw that someone had auctioned off the same card I have, with the exact same description. So that answered my years long question and they did in fact print more than one. Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this card?

Thanks!

I imagine there was a run of these , and got corrected pretty quickly, there fore it wasn't recognized as an error . A few years back (probably 7 8 years) my son an eye got in a break of classics fb ! There were probably 10 packs that the base cards had the wrong names on them example big ben card had ronnie lotts name on it and so forth!

Its pretty cool if your a collector of either or an error collector!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! It seems to me that this is a super rare card and definitely has some value to it, the one on eBay auctioned off for $300. I'm a little baffled that it has never been listed anywhere, and the reason I have a hard time thinking it was just a quick error run as you suggested is because of the link between the two players. This was Stackhouse's rookie year and as I said many thought him to be the next Jordan when he came out of Carolina, so producing a Jordan card with a Stackhouse hologram in the background makes me believe it was done on purpose. If it had been any other player I would be in complete agreement with you. I wish there was a way of knowing just how many of these were out there.

Comment

Regardless pretty cool if YOU collect unc or either of them , but if i got 300$ out of it i wouldn't complain!

Comment

Nah Jordan has always been my favorite player both to watch and to collect. I would never let a card this rare go for a few hundred bucks personally.

Comment

For those interested in what the card looks like, here is the best I could get of the Stackhouse hologram in the background with my phone.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...sdcbnl021.jpeg

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X