Mailday Motherload - Trade with The Daily Dimwit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailday Motherload - Trade with The Daily Dimwit

I feel kind of bad because I've never made a blog post about any of my trades up to this point, and I've traded with quite a few of the people that follow my blog (and a lot of others that don't). Does that make me a lazy blogger? Am I inconsiderate to the people I trade with? The jury is still out on that one. But while they're deliberating, let me tell you about my most recent trade with fellow blogger Sam at The Daily Dimwit.

I happened to find The Daily Dimwit like I assume most of us find new blogs. I was following someone's blog who was following someone else's blog, (and they told two friends, and so on, and so on) who was following The Daily Dimwit. Anyway, he had a post up that caught my eye and after reading it, I noticed he had a want list up for the 2010 Topps baseball set. I said to myself, "Self, you also are working on that set and have quite a number of duplicate cards that this collector might need. Why don't you take a look at his want-list and see if you can help him out?" Well, before you know it, I was diggin through my boxes getting out 2010 Topps, 2008 Masterpieces, and 2007 Bowman Heritage cards for him. All I did was just shoot him an email letting him know that I was sending him some cards he needed. (I wasn't really too concerned with what I would get in return.)

Flash forward about 3 or 4 days and I get a large bubble wrap envelope stuffed with cards I needed for my 2010 Topps set. The thing that was so cool about this trade was we never hammered out any details about who was sending what cards and how much the book value was of the cards, etc, etc. This trade couldn't have been any easier. It pretty much consisted of us trading addresses and looking at each other's want-lists.

In my attempt to appear to be an amature statistician, I wish to share a few fun facts about my package full of baseball card goodness that I received from "The Dimwit."

1. I received 120 cards in my package (one hundred twenty). That's more cards than you get if you bought a blaster box from Walmart. In fact, that's exactly a blaster box and a half. Now couple that with the fact that every single one of those cards were on my want-list, knocking a significant chunk off my collecting needs for the year, and you have one nice mail day.

2. 96% of the cards I received in my package were inserts. If I were to open a new pack of 2010 Topps baseball (Series 1, 2, or Updates) I would probably get 5 or 6 base cards with 2 or 3 inserts in an 8 card pack. That's approximately a 25-35% rate of insert to base cards. I know I needed a lot fewer base cards than did inserts, but that is an incredible percentage.

3. 13 of the cards in my package were Cardinals or players that spent a significant amount of time in a Cardinals uniform (Johnny Mize as a Yankee, Ozzie Smith as a Padre, and I count George Sisler as a Cardinal even though he played for the St Louis Browns). I have no idea what the ratio is of Cardinals to other teams in the set (nor do I care to study the check-list that closely) but in my book, that's a respectable representation of St Louis ball-players.

So I think I've beat this horse to death at this point. I'll just share the list of the cards I got:

Base:
    6 White Sox
    62 Kevin Millwood
    216 Mike Cameron
    247 Andre Ethier
    309 Gerald Laird
    416 Ruben Tejada
    559 Nick Markakis

US-289 Adam Kennedy
    This card finished off my Updates base set.

CYMTO
    5 Luis Aparicio
    24 Robin Yount
    27 Nolan Ryan
    34 Dwight Gooden
    36 Bo Jackson
    41 Manny Ramirez
    46 Pedro Martinez
    48 Ivan Rodriguez

51 Albert Pujols
    What can you say? It's Prince Albert.
    52 Kevin Youkilis
    64 Whitey Ford
    65 Duke Snider
    70 Harmon Killebrew
    71 Eddie Mathews
    73 Gaylord Perry
    74 Jim Bunning
    86 Paul Molitor
    89 Steve Carlton
    92 Robin Yount
    107 Chipper Jones
    110 Cole Hamels
    111 Ichiro-Pujols
    118 John Podres
    128 Willie McCovey
    136 Steve Garvey
    137 Frank Robinson
    141 Reggie Jackson
    149 Darryl Strawberry
    152 Barry Larkin
    153 Eddie Murray
    160 Derek Jeter
    163 Piazza-Griffey Jr
    167 Jason Bay
    172 Ubaldo Jimenez

Legendary Lineage
    3 Babe Ruth-Alex Rodriguez
    4 Lou Gehrig-Mark Teixeira
    6 Jimmie Foxx-Manny Ramirez
    7 George Sisler-Ichiro
    9 Honus Wagner-Hanley Ramirez
    11 Mike Schmidt-Evan Longoria
    13 Reggie Jackson-Adam Dunn
    18 Gary Carter-David Wright
    25 Tom Seaver-Roy Halladay
    30 Rickey Henderson-Carl Crawford
    33 Carlton Fisk-Victor Martinez
    34 Eddie Mathews-Chipper Jones
    37 Jackie Robinson-Ichiro
    39 Phil Rizzuto-Derek Jeter
    42 Lou Gehrig-Albert Pujols
    50 Tris Speaker-Jacoby Ellsbury

51 Juan Marichal-Tim Lincecum
    I prefer the cards with both players from the same team on this set.
    55 Rickey Henderson-BJ Upton
    56 Brooks Robinson-Ryan Zimmerman
    58 Honus Wagner-Andrew McCutchen
    68 Mark Teixeira-Logan Morrison
    69 Tom Seaver-Mike Leake
    70 Ernie Banks-Starlin Castro
    71 Jim Palmer-Brian Matusz
    72 Larry Walker-Justin Morneau
    73 Steve Carlton-Jon Lester

Peak Performance
    1 Albert Pujols
    2 Tim Lincecum
    6 Steve Carlton
    17 Reggie Jackson
    21 Jimmie Foxx

23 Stan Musial
    Congratulations to Stan Musial for receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

27 Tom Seaver
    28 Johnny Mize
    30 Prince Fielder
    33 Cy Young
    42 Ryan Braun
    47 Roger Maris
    55 George Kell
    58 Magglio Ordonez
    59 Derek Jeter
    68 Andre Ethier
    69 Ryan Zimmerman
    72 Chad Billingsley
    73 Adam Dunn
    74 Dan Uggla
    75 Jermaine Dye
    78 Mark Reynolds
    87 Troy Tulowitzki
    88 Phil Rizzuto
    93 Robin Roberts
    95 Al Kaline
    98 Victor Martinez
    107 Carlos Pena
    109 Colby Rasmus
    118 Austin Jackson
    114 Mike Leake
    116 Starlin Castro

Vintage Legends
    1 Lou Gehrig
    2 Johnny Mize
    3 Reggie Jackson

5 George Sisler
    I don't know why I think of players on the Browns as if they were Cardinals. I'm sure Mets fans don't think the same way about the Yankees.
    6 Willie McCovey
    10 Babe Ruth
    13 Eddie Murray
    15 Jimmie Foxx
    16 Thurman Munson
    17 Mike Schmidt
    22 Roy Campanella
    28 Ozzie Smith
    30 George Sisler
    31 Babe Ruth
    32 Reggie Jackson
    34 Mike Schmidt
    37 Eddie Murray
    39 Roy Campanella
    46 Rogers Hornsby
    47 Jimmie Foxx

Thanks for the trade, Sam.

If you don't follow The Daily Dimwit, go check his blog out. There's some good reading there.

More...
    Voted the #1 sports blog on the internet.........by ME!!!
    sigpic
Working...
X