Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Declaring Cardboard Shenanigans!

Yesterday I found this eBay listing...

It's for two copies of the 2007 Bowman Chrome "Red Refractor" Albert Pujols that are serial numbered to 5. What's the problem, you say? Well both of the cards in this lot are serial numbered 1/5, which is why I'm declaring CARDBOARD SHENANIGANS!

How can there be two identical cards with the exact same serial numbering? Isn't the point of serial numbering to show collectors that there are a specific number of cards out there for collectors to pull?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the hobby before... I mean these cards are four years old... so I'm sure others have seen this problem. But it's the first time I've seen it and this definitely caught my attention. Between fake autographs, mislabeled relic cards, and missing hits from boxes... I thought I had plenty of fodder to grumble about already... but I guess I was wrong.

Giving Topps the benefit of the doubt... I'll assume this was an isolated incident. However... one has to wonder if there really are only 6,225 copies of my extremely rare Nick Young autograph.

Happy Monday everyone... Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

S H A D Y indeed !

Comment

There was a story on ESPN about this a long time ago. It was before cards were serialed numbered, but we were told only 68 cards like this were around. It was a Jagar card and someone had collected over 80 of them.

Seems odd.
      Working on 2007 SPx Baseball Rookies Sub Set

Needs
      104,105,106,107,110,111,117,118,119,120,122,124,12 5,127,128,129,131,132,133,134,135,137,139,140,143, 145,146

Comment

Yeah... it was the 95/96 Finest "Gold Refractor" Jaromir Jagr card. The guy won a huge lawsuit against them.

Originally posted by Peties Army View Post
        There was a story on ESPN about this a long time ago. It was before cards were serialed numbered, but we were told only 68 cards like this were around. It was a Jagar card and someone had collected over 80 of them.

Seems odd.
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

The 07 BC red refractors do have some of the same serial numbers.. I have seen them before and it was just a printing error..

Chris

Kazmir Collection 1621/2986 - 54.2%

like Mohammed Ali I float like a butterfly
          but sting like poison ivy

My tradesite

Comment

Glad to hear it was an isolated event.

Originally posted by Myerburg311 View Post
            The 07 BC red refractors do have some of the same serial numbers.. I have seen them before and it was just a printing error..

Chris

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peties Army View Post

Seems odd.

Originally posted by sanjosefuji View Post
              Yeah... it was the 95/96 Finest "Gold Refractor" Jaromir Jagr card. The guy won a huge lawsuit against them.

Yes I was guy with him ESPN outside the lines(same epsiode about event worn cards) with the guy that sued topps and roasted him in a debate. If I remember It was actually 99 jagr cards he found there to be 9 more. I will try to figure how I can upload here if possible. I have copies on VHS lol

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

I knew I had blogged about this before... anyways...

The guy's name was Patrick Englert and he obtained 159 Jagr gold refractors, while Topps originally announced that only 150 of each gold refractor were produced. Mr. Englert spent over $50,000 on these Jagr gold refractors, but ended up winning a lawsuit against Topps that paid him $177,000.

Here's a link to a post I wrote earlier this year that covers this story & has a direct link to the ESPN article:

http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2011...nest-gold.html

Originally posted by wheeler281 View Post
                Yes I was guy with him ESPN outside the lines(same epsiode about event worn cards) with the guy that sued topps and roasted him in a debate. If I remember It was actually 99 jagr cards he found there to be 9 more. I will try to figure how I can upload here if possible. I have copies on VHS lol

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X