• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Market Finds #11

When: Saturday, July 2nd
    Where: De Anza Flea Market
    What: Stamps, cards, bobble heads, a junk wax box, and a record
    How Much: $45

Today was probably the worst flea market experience I've had in terms of deals. I spent every last dollar I had at the flea market and when I went home to see if I got any steals... I realized that I just about broke even. Which is not the norm when I typically hit up the flea market.... since I don't usually buy stuff unless I know for sure I'm getting a deal.

Here... see for yourself...

Purchase #1: USSR Stamp Sheets (x5) $10

1966 USSR Wrestling 12k (Print Run = 4,000)
    1970 USSR Ice-Hockey World Championship 6k
    1976 USSR Olympic Emblem 10k+5k (Print Run = 5,800)
    1979 USSR Women's Volleyball 10k+5k (Print Run = 5,000)
    1981 USSR Field Hockey 6k

I came across a couple who were selling a lot of older collectibles and on one of their tables they had tons of commemorative stamp sheets from Russia. There were several people sifting through them and when the lady announced they were only $2 a sheet... I joined them. There were tons of Soviet cosmonaut stamps as well as ones featuring people I didn't recognize. I skipped over them and pulled out the five that related to sports.

When I got home, I couldn't find any completed sales on eBay... but I did find a couple of cool sites that specialize in Russian stamps. It's hard to say whether or not I got a good deal on these... but I figure they're unique and lately I've been on a stamp kick... so these will fit nicely into my collection.

Purchase #2: 1990 Topps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Set $1

A few minutes later, I met a guy who was selling a bunch of cards from the junk wax era. The only thing that really caught my eye was this TMNT set produced by Topps in 1990. The box it came in was damaged, but the cards are nice. In the end, it's hard to complain since I only spent a dollar.

Purchase #3: 1990's Basketball Inserts $5

My addiction to cheap 90's inserts bit me in the butt today. Years ago, I fell for the Beam Team and Wild Card Stripe hype... but when I sold my collection... these were included. So when I saw this lady selling some cards out of a 5,000 count box... I settled on these three and pulled the trigger. Several Barkleys have sold in the $1-$1.50 range and I couldn't find any completed sales on the Johnson. In short... I overpaid. Oh well... you win some and you lose some.

Purchase #4: San Jose Sabercats Bobble Heads $4

I love it when people have dollar tables... or in this case dollar boxes. I'm a huge San Jose Sabercats fan and have been trying to find these bobble heads for awhile now. Usually people are pretty ridiculous and ask for $10 to $20 a piece for these. But I was able to grab all four of them for $1/piece. The guy even threw in a porcelain replica of the Arena Bowl trophy.

As a bonus, I noticed that QB Mark Grieb (I went to high school with him) autographed the box of his bobble head. These bobble heads are worth practically nothing... since there's little to no demand for them... but much like the TMNT set... I can't complain at a buck a piece.

Purchase #5: 1995 Topps D3 (Dimension III) Wax Box $5

I'll keep this short. Yes, it's from the junk wax era. Yes, it's pretty much garbage. But, it was $5 and it's not 1990 Topps baseball... so I had to jump on it. There aren't any completed listings on eBay, but you can buy these for as little as $14.95 (+ $9 shipping).

Purchase #6: 1964 Auravision Records #9 Sandy Koufax $20

I spent my final $20 on this record of Sandy Koufax. I've seen these before, but didn't know anything about these. So when I stumbled upon this thing of beauty... I purchased it on blind faith. The guy was asking $25... but I only had $20... so he accepted my offer.

One of these recently sold on eBay for $12.50 (+ $3 shipping). So... I got burned on my last purchase. But here's the thing... I'm not complaining. It's a 47 year old piece of Koufax memorabilia that's in absolute beautiful condition. And out of all of my purchases... it's probably the one I'm most excited about.

Well... that's it. Another day at the flea market, along with more purchases of items I probably don't need.

Here is today's question of the day:

If you inherited all of my flea market purchases from yesterday, which ones would go in the dumpster and which ones would you keep?

Don't hold back... I realize I buy a lot of JUNK... so my feelings won't be shattered. Anyways... what's that old saying? One man's junk is another man's treasure?

Enjoy your Sunday everyone... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Those records are cool. I have some. Not worth much but cool
    Working on 2007 SPx Baseball Rookies Sub Set

Needs
    104,105,106,107,110,111,117,118,119,120,122,124,12 5,127,128,129,131,132,133,134,135,137,139,140,143, 145,146

Comment

Hmmm...what would I do...

First off, if I knew you like the Sabercats that much, and collected the vintage memorabilia stuff, I woudl send that off to you.

The TMNT, I would probably have given to my kid or one of my neices or nephews.

The stamps, I traded once with a guy in Russia, and I would probably send those his way.

The 3-D box I would bust and see if I got any Sox.

The basketball woudl go in my basketball box, which by the way is getting very empty after I sent off all those Warriors to you...

A fun read as always bud!

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
      Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Working...
      X