PC Addition - Jim Thome Autographed Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Addition - Jim Thome Autographed Hat

The more I collect... the more I realize that busting wax packs aren't my thing. Sure... I'll pick up a clearance box (or even a case) when the price is right. And yes... every now and then I'll add a pack into my Walmart haul, just for kicks. But, the fact is... I'm on a budget and to make matters worse... I'm cheap.

I'm one of those collectors who will buy specific things I really want... and sometimes will be tempted by an outrageous offer. Which means that I probably won't be busting any 2011 baseball products anytime soon.

But if Topps is reading this... there's something that might make me reconsider my view on box purchases.

Ten years ago, Fleer put out a product called Fleer Legacy. The product contained game used cards and the chance to pull an autographed rookie card of Albert Pujols... but the thing that attracted me to this product were the autographed hats inserted into these boxes. Now I'm not talking about the type of hats you find at Old Navy or Big Lots... we're talking about official MLB fitted wool caps.

A few months ago... as Jim Thome closed in on his 600th homerun... I decided I wanted to add an autograph of his. I've never owned his signature, but when I came across this:

I knew... I had to have it. After some research about Fleer Legacy and a small bidding war... I came out on top with a bid of $51.99 (free shipping). It's debatable whether or not I overpaid on this. But since I have no intentions of selling this anytime soon... and I haven't seen another one at this price... I'm content with my purchase.

Included in the purchase was a Fleer envelope that contained a certificate of authenticity.

The COA included a number that matched a Fleer sticker attached under the bill of the cap.

I'm surprised more companies haven't jumped on this trend. I'm sure they would be able to acquire authentic MLB hats at a reasonable price... and the fact is... these hats (IMHO) are a lot nicer and more unique than autographed cards or even autographed balls.

So Topps... if you're interested in attracting a collector of over 30 years back into the box busting market... you might want to consider taking a look at 2001 Fleer Legacy.

Now... I know this is only one collector's opinion. Obviously there are millions of collectors out there who collect autographed cards... and autographed balls and 8x10's are probably the two most popular signed pieces of memorabilia.

But I'm curious...

Do any of my readers own any autographed hats? If not... would you ever consider getting a hat signed?

And one more thing...

Outside of cards, balls, and photos... what are some other items you've had signed?

Off the top of my head... I could only think of two things. I have a couple of action figures that have been autographed on the package and a skateboard deck that was autographed by Tony Hawk. I used to own a sock autographed by Mankind, but I gave it to one of my students who was in love with the guy.

Well... I hope everyone has been enjoying their week. Only one more day of work... and then I'm off to the GTSM Show. So hopefully, I'll have some cool new PC items to share with you this weekend.

Last time I walked away with the 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson, I've wanted for years... and this time... I'll be on the hunt for a T206 Chief Bender or T206 Eddie Collins... although both are probably out of my price range.

Oh and before I forget... a tip of my hat goes out to Mr. Thome on becoming the 8th member of the MLB 600 home run club. There are some who say this club is not what it used to be... but the fact is... only 7 other people can say they've done what you have. Congratulations!

Have a great Friday everyone... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Very cool Fuji! Nice haul!

So, have you gotten any new Fuji Autos lately?

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Working...
    X