I love the 80's #8: Topps Rack Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the 80's #8: Topps Rack Packs

Remember those rack packs I picked up at the Santa Clara GTSM card show? Probably not. If you're bored... go here and refresh your memory. If you're strapped for time, here's the Cliff Notes version:

A. Two weeks ago I attended the GTSM card show in Santa Clara.
    B. I spent $75 on everything from 90's inserts to autographs to vintage singles to insert sets.
    C. In addition to the items mentioned above, I also picked up three rack packs from the 80's.
    D. Total cost = $10

I'm in the process of building a 1984 Topps baseball set and have only one card left on my wantlist... card #431 Chris Bando. Well.. I didn't pull it. But I did pull a couple of Oriole HOFers.

1984 Topps Baseball Rack Pack

Pack 1
    741 Wayne Gross
    429 Randy Bush
    197 Garry Hancock
    176 Lee Smith
    728 Tug McGraw
    455 Terry Kennedy
    Stick of Gum
    58 Max Venable
    211 Rick Sweet
    114 Checklist
    284 Howard Bailey
    437 Mike Prowly
    614 Len Barker

Pack 2
    749 Doug Flynn
    642 Tom Underwood
    757 Larry Bowa
    275 Len Matuszek
    68 Luis Salazar
    212 Broderick Perkins
    Stick of Gum
    240 Eddie Murray
    25 Glenn Hubbard
    750 Jim Palmer
    383 Terry Puhl
    488 Jesse Barfield
    623 Ron Washington

Pack 3
    731 Lynn Jones
    650 Phil Niekro
    385 Tony Perez
    145 Gary Lavelle
    46 Ray Smith
    538 Kevin Bass
    Stick of Gum
    775 Dave Parker
    518 Greg Walker
    498 Rich Gedman
    466 Gen Garber
    601 John Tudor
    504 Mickey Rivers

Actually the coolest part of this rack pack was the gum. Inserted into each pack was an individually wrapped piece of gum. Yep... your read it correctly... individually wrapped.

Add in the fact that cellophane was used for the inner packs and what you have is... drum roll please... NO DAMAGED CARDS! What message am I trying to send? Well... if you're interested in building a hand collated set of 1984 Topps baseball... go out and pick up some of these grocery rack packs.

1981 Topps baseball is like scotch... it gets better with age. For years 1981 Topps was the forgotten set when it came to 80's baseball cards. 1980 had Rickey. 1982 had Ripken. 1983 had Gwynn. 1984 had Mattingly. 1985 had McGwire. 1986 had the black borders. 1987 had the wood borders. 1988 and 1989 were ugly, but at least I could picture them if I wanted. But for one reason or another, 1981 always slipped my mind.

However over the past few years... I've slowly started to appreciate the colorful baseball hats in the bottom right corner. And when I was offered the opportunity to bust 30 year old rack packs for less than $3.50 a pack... well... I just couldn't pass them up.

The first rack pack consisted of the stars... while the second rack pack was loaded with rookies.

1981 Topps Baseball Rack Pack #1

Pack 1
    439 Denny Walling
    369 Frank Tanana
    453 Rob Wilfong
    27 Champ Summers
    131 Keith Moreland
    111 Greg Minton
    Stick of Gum
    570 Ken Singleton
    120 Larry Bowa
    185 Dennis Leonard
    602 Bobby Murcer
    627 Luis Tiant
    90 Bake McBride

Pack 2
    512 Gary Thomasson
    412 Britt Burns
    371 Charlie Hough
    157 John Wathan
    390 Cesar Geronimo
    578 Bill Gullickson
    Stick of Gum
    520 Steve Stone
    301 Matt Keough
    380 Willie Stargell
    572 Jack Morris
    630 Steve Carlton
    539 Rodney Scott

Pack 3
    406 Dickie Noles
    176 Mike Krukow
    359 Tom Hausman
    365 Graig Nettles
    363 Geoff Zahn
    16 Ron Davis
    Stick of Gum
    480 Carlton Fisk
    189 Craig Swan
    488 Damaso Garcia
    126 Charlie Leibrandt
    703 Alvis Woods
    660 Gary Carter

I'm not going to lie... I really wanted to pull a pristine Fernando Valenzuela rookie card... or even a nice second year Rickey Henderson. But do I really have any right to complain when I pulled four players enshrined at Cooperstown? I think not.

1981 Topps Baseball Rack Pack #2

Pack 1
    82 Astros Future Stars (Heep, Knicely, Sprowl)
    469 Jeff Leonard
    376 Ron Reed
    713 Bill North
    536 Bob Owchinko
    94 Harry Spilman
    Stick of Gum
    354 Mario Soto
    78 Steve Dillard
    379 Lary Sorensen
    569 Al Williams
    178 Jim Essian
    456 Jeff Reardon RC

Pack 2
    234 Lou Whitaker
    381 Cubs Future Stars (Lezcano, Macko, Martz)
    183 Dick Davis
    310 Vida Blue
    502 Giants Future Stars (Bourjos, Hargesheimer, Rowland)
    646 Marvis Foley
    Stick of Gum
    246 Ed Ott
    542 Larry Bradford
    524 Willie Aikens
    166 Floyd Bannister
    721 Toby Harrah
    42 Jerry White

Pack 3
    525 Mike Torrez
    356 Padres Future Stars (Stablein, Stimac, Tellmann)
    346 Larry Christenson
    564 Ron Hassey
    399 Orioles Future Stars (Boddicker, Corey, Rayford)
    144 Allen Ripley
    Stick of Gum
    484 Max Venable
    333 Sid Monge
    553 Tim Blackwell
    465 Bill Russell
    568 Dave Revering
    375 Dave Concepcion

Tim Raines? Nadda. Kirk Gibson? Not a chance. How about a little Mookie Wilson/Hubie Brooks love? Nope. But I did pull two rookies worth mentioning.

Boddicker won 72 games in a five year period for the Baltimore Orioles. In 1984, he was an all-star when he led the AL in wins and ERA.

Reardon has 367 career saves, which ranks him 7th all-time. He was a four time all-star, who won the NL Rolaids Relief Award in 1985.

Sure... they're not quite Cooperstown quality... but I don't consider them commons either. Both will be added to my rookie card collection... along with that sweet San Diego Padres Future Stars card, that shows off those beautiful yellow and brown uniforms.

Some will say that's $10 down the drain... and when you consider the fact that I'll never recover my money... then you're right. But if you take the time to factor in the entertainment... which lasted just under 12 minutes... it wasn't that bad.

These packs didn't contain autographs, jersey cards, parallels, or inserts. But it did bring back childhood memories... something no modern day pack will every produce for me.

Will I bust anymore of this stuff? Well... probably not in the near future. But what I will say is... if I see these guys again at the next show... I'll probably buy a few more packs. So when I'm caught up in the relic and autograph hype and need to be brought down to Earth... I can pop one of these babies open and remember how it all began.

Thursday's question of the day:

What's the oldest pack you've busted in the past 6 months?

What's the oldest pack you've ever opened?

Okay... it's taken me almost two hours to write this post... because I'm watching the Packers/Saints season opener. The Packers are leading 28 to 17... but the Saints are on the move and are about to score. So... it's time to give them my full attention.

Sayonara and good night!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X