It's not perfect... but it's close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not perfect... but it's close

Sometimes I get caught up in all of the memorabilia card and autograph hype... but it's important that you understand that this collector also appreciates "base cards" too.

Every now & then... a particular card design catches my eye and if my wallet allows it... I'll either build the set, or buy it.

2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions is one of those products. It's one of my favorite sets from the past decade... and I don't say that lightly.

Why do I like it so much? Well the base cards have a nice retro feel to it, since they're modeled after the 1888 (N162) set. The beautiful painted pictures are supported by a simple border that resembles the original set.

Plus there are a slew of superstars from a variety of sports like MMA, figure skating, and surfing... which is a tribute to the original set that includes oddities like chess players & oarsmen.

Okay... so I realize this set isn't for everyone. Some collectors dislike "Presidents" mixed in with "baseball players". But, I like the variety... especially since that's what the N162 set was about.

Others wonder how people like Rick Cerone made the checklist.

Even the painted pictures, which I find beautiful and unique, are bothersome to certain collectors who feel that baseball cards should contain photos, not art.

But that's the beauty of collecting... everyone has their own preference when it comes to cardboard.

I personally have wanted this set since it hit the market back in 2009, but I'm too cheap to bust boxes and build it on my own. Nope... instead I've had the following as an eBay search for at least a year now: 2009 Goodwin Set 210.

The number "210" represents a complete base set (not the minis/mini parallels... just the standard size cards) including the short prints, but without the "Night Variations". I have no idea how "short printed" the SP's are, but they don't sell for much, so I assume they weren't hard to pull.

On the other hand, the "Night Variations" sell for a nice premium... usually in the $3 to $5 range for commons and $8 to $15 range for stars. The jury is still out as to whether or not I'll build this particular fifteen card set. They're sweet looking cards, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dish out the cash.

Anyways... last month, I finally came across a dealer who had the set as an auction, instead of the usual BIN (usually dealers way too much... in the $125 price range). So, I entered $45 into my sniping program as my maximum bid... and waited a week to see the results...

Voila... my final bid was $20.50 (+ $5 shipping). That's $10 cheaper than what DA Card World sells their 2009 Goodwin retail boxes for ($35.95).

Is it a steal? Well... not for collectors who dislike this product... but odds are, I'm not going to be able to find this set any cheaper. And considering the fact that I was willing to spend $45 (+ $5 shipping)... I'm pretty happy.

Do I think it's the perfect set? Nope... it's hard to fathom why they included Michael Beasley, but not Kobe Bryant. Their player selection issues crossed over into the gridiron. Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning? Really? How about replacing them with Joe Montana and Walter Payton? It's also a shame that the football players in the set are pictured in their college uniforms... instead of their NFL ones.

Anyways... these were the only key flaws I could find in the set... and in my opinion... the Pro's outweigh the Con's any day of the week.

Your turn...

What are some of your favorite "base" sets? Why?

Only three more days until Christmas... have a happy holidays everyone. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Nice pickup. I liked 2009 Goodwin, but can't really say the same about this year's release. The Michael Jordan card has to be my favorite from the 09 set.

Comment

YankeeCollector - Totally agree... that Michael Jordan card is a work of art.

Originally posted by YankeeCollector View Post
      Nice pickup. I liked 2009 Goodwin, but can't really say the same about this year's release. The Michael Jordan card has to be my favorite from the 09 set.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X