I'm Glovin' It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Glovin' It!

On Saturday, I drove out to The Great Mall in Milpitas for my second card show in eight days. With $50 and some change in my pocket, I wasn't expecting to buy much. Like last weekend, I planned to walk around, talk to some of the dealers, and hang out with my buddy, who set up at the show.

Then I came across these two memorabilia cards produced ten years ago when card companies still cared about the COA's given to collectors:

Each card contains a piece of the player's game used batting glove. Best of all, they actually have respectable COA's that state the following:

Congratulations! You have received a/an _____________________ game-used batting glove from The Upper Deck Company, LLC. On the front of the card is an authentic piece of batting glove used by _____________________ in an official MLB game.

Now that's what a COA should look like. It specifically states that the memorabilia piece was used in an MLB game by the specified player. The only thing it's missing is a photo of the batting glove and the date when the player wore the glove.

I'm very tired of manufacturers and their vague COA's that guarantee nothing specific. But I've already ranted about this before, so I'll move on to my other purchases.

Later on, I headed over to Max's table. He's the guy with the awesome 10¢ boxes. After digging through his boxes for 45 minutes or so, I ended up finding 77 cards that I could use. As usual, I pulled a variety of stufff: vintage, 90's inserts, low end rookie cards, and of course singles of players on teams I collect. Here's a breakdown of my 10¢ purchases:

Seahawks Singles

Packers Singles

90's Inserts

Scooby Doo Promo Card

Rookie Cards

Vintage Singles

If you're a collector on a budget, I encourage you to check out Max's boxes. He also has 50¢ boxes, $1 memorabilia cards & autographs, unopened wax boxes, and even collectible figures. If you live in the Bay Area and are interested in attending his next show, here's his flier:

Last, but not least... I picked up two boxes of 2009 World's Greatest Chase from Max:

Each box contains 16 packs and the packs can range from comic cards to sports cards to movie cards. At $5 per pox, it provided me with ten to fifteen minutes worth of entertainment. However, I'll share the contents another time... in another post.

Today's question goes back to the two memorabilia cards I purchased...

Do you collect memorabilia cards?
    If so, how much do you care about a company's COA?

Happy Monday everyone. Have a great week... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Nice haul! Any chance the Rodriguez is available?
    U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
    Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
    Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

At this point... not really. I'm thinking about building this set, since it's unique. But I'll keep you in mind.

Originally posted by ocanseco55 View Post
      Nice haul! Any chance the Rodriguez is available?
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

I collect Pujols and Cardinals GU's. I'd rather have Upper Deck or Fleer over TOPPS. UD and Fleer seem to be more authentic and trustworthy. Also, it looks like the whole point of an UD GU was to create a cool memorabilia card whereas TOPPS sometimes looks like it was just thrown together with little thought or planning involved.

Comment

In terms of collecting & building base sets, I prefer Topps... but I agree with you when it comes to them being trustworthy with memorabilia cards. Their vague COA's + the huge screw ups with bats & stadium seats in the past have put their reputation on shaky ground.

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
          I collect Pujols and Cardinals GU's. I'd rather have Upper Deck or Fleer over TOPPS. UD and Fleer seem to be more authentic and trustworthy. Also, it looks like the whole point of an UD GU was to create a cool memorabilia card whereas TOPPS sometimes looks like it was just thrown together with little thought or planning involved.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X