Sports Card Trifecta #16: Kirby Puckett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Card Trifecta #16: Kirby Puckett

On May 8th, 1984... Kirby Puckett had four hits, scored one run, and stole a base in his MLB debut for the Minnesota Twins. He played his entire twelve year career in the Twin Cities finishing with ten All-Star appearances, sixGolden Glove Awards, sixSilver Slugger Awards, and twoWorld Seriesrings.

During his career, he was always one of my favorite players not donning an A's or a Padres uniform. In fact, outside of Tony Gwynn and Rickey Henderson, I can't think of any hitter during that era I enjoyed watching more.

I've always admired his charming personality (at least during his playing years), his ability to hit for average, and his loyalty to the Twins franchise. Unfortunately, his career was shortened because he lost vision in his right eye due to glaucoma.

Puckett officially retired from baseball on July 12th, 1996. Then on March 6th, 2006Puckett passed away the day after he suffered a major stroke. He was just eight days shy of his forty-sixth birthday.

So without further adieu, I'd like to honor Puckett's career accomplishments by showing off the Sports Card Trifecta I built of him:

Rookie Card:1985 O-Pee-Chee #10

Some things get better with age. And in my mind, O-Pee-Chee baseball cards are one of them. I also have his Topps, Fleer, and Donruss regular issue rookie cards, but his 1985 Leaf and 1984 Fleer Update XRC still elude me.

I even own these two 1985 cello packs with Puckett on the top:

Autographed Card: 2003 Sweet Spot #KP

I've wanted to acquire his autograph since I jumped back into the hobby in 2008, but certified, pack pulled copies routinely sell in the $100 to $300 range... which is a bit out of my league. But, as George Clinton once said, "two tears in a bucket".

$115.27 (+ $3 shipping) later... and I became the proud owner of this certified Kirby Puckett autographed card. The autograph seems to be faded, but I assure you it's just the scan. This card is beautiful and one of my favorite cardboard possessions. I guess it should be... it's the most I've ever spent on a single piece of cardboard.

Memorabilia Cards: 2007 SP Legendary Cuts "A Stitch In Time" #KP & 2002 Sweet Spot Classics "Game Bat" #BKP

I purchased the top card a few weeks ago off of COMC for $4 and received it in my latest shipment. The one on the bottom arrived three weeks ago in a CCW trade. Domo arigato cornwellfamily for helping me complete my Puckett trifecta.

Alright... enough of my jabbering. Today's question is...

What's the most you've ever spent on a single piece of cardboard?

Thanks for the memories Kirby! Happy Tuesday everyone... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Nice write up... agree on Henderson and Puckett being fun to watch back in the day. Congrats on the auto!

The most I ever spent on a single card was I think around $55, it was on a vintage 1933 Goudey card ......I'm a cheep-a$$....lol
    Currently looking for:
    Football: The Gronk!
    Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
    Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
    + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
    Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Love reading your blogs!!! Nice Puckett collection!
      U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
      Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
      Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

I'm cheap too. Although in the past few months I bought the Puckett and picked up a Rickey Henderson autographed photo for close to $100. But usually, my money hangs out in my wallet.

Originally posted by azdbacks1998 View Post
        Nice write up... agree on Henderson and Puckett being fun to watch back in the day. Congrats on the auto!

The most I ever spent on a single card was I think around $55, it was on a vintage 1933 Goudey card ......I'm a cheep-a$$....lol
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Thanks... I'm going to start collecting him more actively now.

Originally posted by ocanseco55 View Post
          Love reading your blogs!!! Nice Puckett collection!

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

I remember as a teenager (age 13) spending $20 on a 1970 Hank Aaron card. That was a huge amount based on how much money I made at the time(minimum wage was 3.35 so it was bascially about 6 hours worth of work). I've spent more since then, but percentage wise, that had to be a pretty high amount. 24 years later, I still have the card!
            Last edited by ucffans; 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM.
            Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
            Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
            Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

That's pretty impressive. I wasn't as lucky. In 1988, I was spending my hard earned cash on boxes of 1988 Topps baseball. I'll take the 1970 Hammering Hank over the 20 count lots of Matt Nokes and Ellis Burks rookie cards.

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
              I remember as a teenager (age 13) spending $20 on a 1970 Hank Aaron card. That was a huge amount based on how much money I made at the time(minimum wage was 3.35 so it was bascially about 6 hours worth of work). I've spent more since then, but percentage wise, that had to be a pretty high amount. 24 years later, I still have the card!

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Cool stuff!
                Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Working...
                X