Cheap Cool Cards #29: 1961 Topps #21 Zoilo Versalles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Cool Cards #29: 1961 Topps #21 Zoilo Versalles

Who the heck is Zoilo Versalles? Well that's what I said to myself after I pulled his 1982 K-Mart card out of those $1 grab bags from last month's flea market venture:

Honestly... I had never heard of the guy and felt a little stupid since he was the 1965 American League MVP. That season, he led the league in runs, doubles, triples, and total bases as he helped the Minnesota Twins reach the World Series for the first time since their move from Washington several years earlier.

Anyways... I was so surprise to learn this little piece of trivia, that I headed over to Check Out My Cards to search for the 1965 Topps card captured on the K-Mart card.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find one. But I did find his 1961 Topps rookie card, which I found for 60ยข. It's not in perfect condition, but it's still the rookie card of a former AL MVP.

Best of all... it's evidence that one piece of cardboard often leads us to another piece of cardboard.

Okay, let's see how many of you guys are like me...

Have you ever heard of Zoilo Versalles before today?

And just curious...

Who are other MVP's (from any sport) that people may not have ever heard of?

Happy Hump Day! Enjoy the rest of your week and sayonara.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X