Flashback Friday #10: Tuff Stuff Jr. Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback Friday #10: Tuff Stuff Jr. Magazines

Once upon a time, there was a sports card magazine that rivaled Beckett Media. And their name was Tuff Stuff. The battle lines were drawn and many collectors pledged their allegiance to one or the other.

But not me. I loved them both. Actually I still do.

Now before you break out the tar and feathers, take a few seconds to hear me out. I'm a fan of their articles... not their price guides. Seriously. Some guys read
    Maxim... others have the Wall Street Journal. But there's nothing I'd rather read on the pot, than an old copy of Beckett or Tuff Stuff.

And last month, I finally ran out of reading material. So I headed over to
    eBay and picked up a "lot" of 13 magazines that included these seven issues of Tuff Stuff Jr.:

If you're not familiar with Tuff Stuff Jr., it was a sports card magazine targeted towards kids in the early 90's.

I've been flipping through the first issue the past week and was pleasantly surprised by the content. In fact, I'd highly recommend picking up some of these issues if you enjoy any of the following:

Reading Interesting Articles

Collecting Uncut Sheets of Cards

(This sheet was actually from issue #4, not #1)

Looking @ Top Rookie Card Lists

Flipping Through 20 Year Old Price Guide Values

Reflecting on Old Sports Ads

In all honesty, it's probably not worth spending the
    $4 to $6 people are seeking on eBay. But if you're patient, you can find magazine "lots" and end up spending less than a buck an issue. At that price, you can't go wrong.

So it's time to come clean...

Who did you support? Beckett, Tuff Stuff, both, neither, or other?

Happy Friday everyone and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

I'd have to go with Beckett for card prices but Tuff Stuff for articles. Although, I haven't read an issue of Tuff Stuff in over 20 years. Beckett doesn't offer anything worth reading.

Comment

Yeah... good call. Back in the day, I definitely used Beckett when I wanted a card value.

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
      I'd have to go with Beckett for card prices but Tuff Stuff for articles. Although, I haven't read an issue of Tuff Stuff in over 20 years. Beckett doesn't offer anything worth reading.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X