To err is human...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To err is human...

It took MLB players 136 years to commit 500,000 errors.

But it only took me over 20 years, to finally add the infamous 1989 Fleer #616 Billy Ripken "F#%k Face" error card to my collection.

Words can't describe the satisfaction and sense of relief that I felt after slipping this card into a penny sleeve, top loader, and into the darkened shoebox it will now call "home".

It should be pretty obvious why this card became an instant "cult classic", but I've blown up the area of concern just in case:

The card has gained national media attention and there's even a website dedicated to this card and its variations. Last time I checked, there were at least 8 or 9 different versions of this card.

But in my eyes, the most important one is the card you see above. It's been estimated that over 100,000 of these cards were inserted into packs, which makes them far from rare. However for being such an "overproduced" error, this card still commands $5 to $15 on eBay.

Who says that junk wax era cards are worthless?

Okay, it's your turn to share...

What are some of your favorite "error" cards?

Thank you Fleer for creating one of the biggest gaffes in cardboard history.

And congratulations Jose Reyes! Your name will forever be a part of MLB history.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X