Saturday Night Five: Favorite Oakland Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Night Five: Favorite Oakland Athletics

Don't ask me to explain the 2012Oakland Athletics,because I can't. Trust me, I've sat around with buddies trying to dissect and analyze it, but a few weeks ago... I stopped. I decided to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The fact is... there was a time when I could name the entire starting 9 for the Athletics. But yesterday, one of my coworkers quizzed me and it wasn't pretty. I was only able to produce five of the eight positional players... and only three of the five starting pitchers.

I know... I know. Weak sauce! What's worse is that I don't even have a favorite player on the current A's roster.

But here's the thing... there are plenty of former players I love to make up for it. So without further adieu, here are my top 5 all-time favorite Oakland Athletics:

Honorable Mention: Carney Lansford, Terry Steinbach, Billy Martin, and The Big 3 (Mulder, Hudson, and Zito)

You have no idea how hard it was to keep Billy off of my list. He's one of the most entertaining managers I've ever had the pleasure to watch. The other five are special in their own way... but just don't have what it takes to crack the top 5.

So... as my fellow A's fan, Mr. M.C. Hammer would say... let's get it started:

#5 Dennis Eckersley

He served up the dagger that nearly made me punch a hole in the wall in 1988... but more than made up for it by giving A's fans nine years of HOF effort.

#4 Jose Canseco

I'm sure this doesn't sit well with some of you, but I can't deny my past. I loved JC back in the day.

#3 Rollie Fingers

Rollie has one of the coolest mustache's in the game. He played for both of my favorite teams. And he's my childhood buddy's uncle. In other words, he's the man!

#2 Kurt Suzuki

Words can't express how I felt when the A's traded Kurt to the Washington Nationals earlier this season. The fact is... I enjoyed cheering for him without the high expectations people have for their favorite super stars. He's just a hard working catcher, a solid leader, and a guy who happened to play for my favorite team and shares my ethnicity.

#1 Rickey Henderson

I was truly torn between Kurt and Rickey. But I felt that my childhood carried more weight than the present, so I went with The Man of Steal. When reflecting on my childhood favorites, plenty of names come to mind. However Tony Gwynn and Rickey Henderson are truly in a league of their own.

Okay... it's time to share your favorite five:

What's your favorite MLB team? And who are your five favorite players from that franchise?

Alright Athletics... I did my part. Now it's time to do yours. Let's take care of business and finish what you started. And in the meantime... Hammer will lead us in prayer:

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Entertaining post as always!! If your looking for a favorite current player Josh Reddick is a good place to start. Dave
    I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Working...
    X