GCRL + $$$ = Campy 1/1 Auto & Vida Oddball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCRL + $$$ = Campy 1/1 Auto & Vida Oddball

On October 1st, 1976, Bert "Campy" Campaneris played his final game as an Oakland Athletic. I was barely four years old, so I'd be lying if I told you I remembered any specific moments of his years with the A's.

But that's what newspapers, magazines, and the internet is for. Campy is a legend and fan favorite to many Oakland A's fans. He was a huge part of the Athletics back to back to back World Series Championships in the 70's and still holds these franchise records:

Defensive WAR: 17.5
    Games Played: 1,795
    At Bats: 7,180
    Plate Appearances: 7,895
    Hits: 1,882
    Singles: 1,472

Plus he's in the top 10 for these franchise records: Offensive War (8th), Runs Scored (3rd), Total Bases (5th), Doubles (10th), Stolen Bases (2nd), Runs Created (8th), Sacrifice Flies (4th), and Stolen Base % (5th).

2004 UD Legends Timeless Teams Platinum Autographs

Which is why, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add this 1 of 1, on-card autograph of Campy to my collection.

Last year, GCRL posted this card on his blog and I complimented him on owning this fine piece of cardboard. We emailed each other a few times and he told me that it was available for me to purchase.

Unfortunately the holiday season was approaching and I had to focus my funds on presents for friends and family. Then last month, I asked him if the card was still available. We hammered out a price and as of Friday the card officially has a new owner.

He also threw in this awesome Vida Blueoddball issue:

It's card #3 from the 1976 Isaly Disc set and it's in pristine condition. According to baseballcardpedia.com, it's a 70 card set that was regionally distributed in the Pittsburgh area at Isaly Dairy and Sweet William Restaurants.

Thanks GCRL for selling me the Campy and throwing in the Vidaoddball issue. I promise to provide both of these cards a nice home.

Happy Sunday & sayonara!

Extra Edition

Everyday I learn something new from all of the amazing bloggers out there. Sometimes it's cool, oddball issues I've never heard of. Other times, it's interesting facts about athletes.

Earlier today, I heard about the passing of Virgil "Fire" Trucks after reading foul bunt's touching tribute. William's posts eventually inspired me to track down one of Mr. Trucks' autographs:

Rest in peace Mr. Trucks.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X