Proud to be an American!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud to be an American!

The events that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School last December rocked an entire nation. It has sparked "gun control" debates and has made parents, students, and teachers concerned about safety at school.

The past few months, I have had numerous discussions with my students and colleagues about the topic as we try to sympathize with the victims' families. It's impossible for me to know what these people are going through, because I just can't imagine what I would do if the tragedy struck closer home. I'm sure I would not be as brave and as strong as many of these families have been.

One thing is for certain... I'm proud of how our country comes together to support each other in times like these.

A few weeks ago, MLB.com auctioned off team signed jerseys from each of the 30 clubs to benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. I was excited about this opportunity and bid on the Oakland Athletics jersey.

When the dust settled, I ended up winning the auction with a high bid of $600.

The jersey is autographed by twenty-nine players and coaches, including Yoenis Cespedes, Brett Anderson, Grant Balfour, Josh Reddick, Jarrod Parker, Coco Crisp, and Bob Melvin.

I know what you're thinking... "you totally overpaid". You wouldn't be the first to tell me that. I've already heard it from friends and family members. And in terms of monetary value, they're all correct. There's no way I'll ever be able to recover the money.

However... this is one of the rare occasions where it's not about the money. It's about the cause. And I'm very excited about the newest addition to my Oakland A's collection.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that sweet looking jersey will have more value to you than you could put a price on.
    Thanks for being a teacher!
    --Jeff

Comment

I would like to make two points about your fantastic purchase. Number 1, you never overpay for a charity item. I dont care if you paid 2000 for it, you did not overpay. Number 2, if you like it and dont have buyers remorse, then you obviously didnt overpay.

I paid 225.00 for a 50 dollar gift certificate at a local silent auction to benefit the blind. One would sumize that 225 for 50 is overpaying but is was for charity and I have a huge softspot for those less fortunate.

I say kudos for your purchase and I am sure that you will enjoy it for years to come. Congrats on the Awesome purchase. Dave
      I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Thanks for reading my blog post. As for teaching... I couldn't have picked a better profession.

Originally posted by jarends View Post
        Great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that sweet looking jersey will have more value to you than you could put a price on.
        Thanks for being a teacher!
        --Jeff

Thanks Dave. I'm totally happy with my purchase. Now I'm just waiting until I can afford to frame this awesome piece of memorabilia.

Originally posted by Dave Crum View Post
        I would like to make two points about your fantastic purchase. Number 1, you never overpay for a charity item. I dont care if you paid 2000 for it, you did not overpay. Number 2, if you like it and dont have buyers remorse, then you obviously didnt overpay.

I paid 225.00 for a 50 dollar gift certificate at a local silent auction to benefit the blind. One would sumize that 225 for 50 is overpaying but is was for charity and I have a huge softspot for those less fortunate.

I say kudos for your purchase and I am sure that you will enjoy it for years to come. Congrats on the Awesome purchase. Dave
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X