Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Morning Soapbox: Beckett Collectors Club Grading (BCCG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Morning Soapbox: Beckett Collectors Club Grading (BCCG)

Bloggers and collectors have been offering their opinions on card grading services for years. Some collectors love graded cards. Others hate them. And then there are collectors like me, who are caught in the middle.

But today's post isn't about whether or not you collect graded cards. Today, I'm venting my frustrations on BCCG graded cards.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Beckett Collector's Club Grading, they were created to give collectors a more affordable option to their regular grading services in exchange for a simplified 10 point grading scale.

Unfortunately, I think BCCG does more harm than good.

How many times have you seen people mistake their BCCG 10 graded card as being perfect, because it's the highest grade they offer? What about the dealers who take advantage of this flaw?

Yesterday, I met a woman at the flea market who had just purchased a BCCG 10 graded Michael Jordan Air Time card for her husband's Father's Day present. She was so excited about the purchase that I didn't have the heart to tell her that the she paid way too much. Within the five minute conversation, she mentioned that the card was graded a 10 at least five times as she told me the story about how she got the vendor to sell her the card for half off the $50 asking price.

Now, I completely understand that it's the responsibility for buyers and collectors to do their homework. But there's no denying that BCCG's grading scale can be misleading to the novice collectors.

Here's a comparison of the simplified 10 point grading scale (used by BCCG) and the regular BGS service:

BCCG 10 Mint or Better = BGS 9 or Better
    BCCG 9 Near Mint or Better = BGS 7 or Better
    BCCG 8 Excellent or Better = BGS 5 or Better
    BCCG 7 Very Good or Better = BGS 3 or Better
    BCCG 6 Good or Better = BGS 2 or Better
    BCCG 5 Poor or Better = BGS 1 or Better

If I'm trying to sell a card that's in Very Good condition, which looks better to the novice? BCCG 7 or BGS 3?

Beckett... I know that it's a business and you guys have to make money. But hopefully you'll take a few moments to rethink this service, because I truly think it's flawed.

Which is why, I freed my awesome 1992 Donruss Elite Tony Gwynn from it's BCCG holder.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. But I'm curious...

What are your thoughts on Beckett's cheaper and simpler grading service?

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

When I first started to collect cards, I noticed the absolutely inconsistent range in prices regarding graded cards. Whether BCCG or BGS, GMA, GAI, etc. it was the most inconsistent service out there. This is just my humble opinion, I mean no disrespect to my fellow collectors. Here's a good example, in the numismatic and philatelic world of collecting, everything is one simple standardized system. There are no inconsistency in grade and or pricing! I've seen cards that were graded at the low end of the spectrum look as if though it should be a 9 or 9.5. I hear this comment all the time. In the end, it's truly up to the collector. Graded or ungraded, at the end of the day, it's your choice and each individual needs to make that desicion regarding if its worth it or not. Or you can be like Sanjosefuji and break open your slab in defiance!
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Very true. That's the beauty of our hobby... everyone has their own special way of collecting.

Originally posted by hayn View Post
      When I first started to collect cards, I noticed the absolutely inconsistent range in prices regarding graded cards. Whether BCCG or BGS, GMA, GAI, etc. it was the most inconsistent service out there. This is just my humble opinion, I mean no disrespect to my fellow collectors. Here's a good example, in the numismatic and philatelic world of collecting, everything is one simple standardized system. There are no inconsistency in grade and or pricing! I've seen cards that were graded at the low end of the spectrum look as if though it should be a 9 or 9.5. I hear this comment all the time. In the end, it's truly up to the collector. Graded or ungraded, at the end of the day, it's your choice and each individual needs to make that desicion regarding if its worth it or not. Or you can be like Sanjosefuji and break open your slab in defiance!
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X