Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Market Flops #2: Pogs, Becketts, Bobbles, and Packs

Round two... ding, ding.

I have to admit... I dropped the ball on this series. The plan was to start documenting my not so positive flea market experiences. In other words, review items I was interested in, but ended up passing up for one reason or another.

A few days ago, I wrote about the new flea market I walked around on Saturday and the pretty cool purchases I made. However, I failed to mention that I also went out to my normal venue on Sunday (Capitol Flea Market) and ended up walking away empty handed.

Here are a few of the items that caught my attention.

Hand Painted Barry Bonds Bobble Head$10

I know that there are a lot of people who can't stand Barry, but living in the Bay Area... I'd have no problem finding a home for this bobble. Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to pay over $5.

Pail of Packs$10

Let me clarify. It's a pail of opened packs that contained two or three inserts with some base cards of players like Jeter and A-Rod. But the guy's price was a little to rich for my taste. I didn't bother to counter his offer, because I didn't want to offend him.

Binder of Becketts$30

I love reading back issues of Beckett... especially if they're from the late 80's or early 90's. They're a great way to go back and get in touch with the past. But this vendor was not very realistic. $30 for threeBecketts is a little steep. This was another situation where I didn't even bother to counter, but when I put the binder down he told me that he'd take $15. I just waved goodbye and walked away.

Collection of POGs$40

I know what you're about to ask. Why in the world would you want these? Well... I'm not really sure. But if the price was right, I would have grabbed them. As you can see... the price was wrong. Very wrong.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

This is like a Back to the Future scene from the Kam Drive-In swapmeet in Hawaii during it's heyday of the late 80's, early 90's. The place is all but dead now, but the same sellers and merchandise remain some 20 years little, a little more grey and rounder around the middle yet it's as if time stood still.

Won't mention any specific ethnic group (hint, they're the world's biggest commuters and it rhymes with Filipino) and the minute you rolled into your stall a swarm would be there with flashlights rummaging through your articles before you even had a chance to unload the car. The summer of '85 I was moving to S.Cal and had a ton of Snap-On specialty tools I didn't want to drag with me... speed handles; hand drills; crowsfoot, spanner, strike face box, alligator and 6000 ft/lb torque wrenches, etc. You name it, if it's something you didn't have an everyday use for, I had it... in fairly large quantities of 25+ each or more and the biggest draw of course was the Snap-On name. I'm not even sure how many of what people had, everyone was grabbing and trying to haggle a price so I just threw out $.50 for anything and before you know it I was heading home with more than $500 in my pocket for less than 2 hours of 'work'. I get back to Hawaii every once in awhile and still have family there so of course we end up at Kam and sure enough those same tools are still for sale week after week.

You interested in a boatload of pogs for $.50? If I look hard enough, I may be able to dig up some Tamagotch as well!!!

Comment

Working...
    X