Stalking a Piece of Cardboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalking a Piece of Cardboard

Do you believe in love at first sight? I do. I know it sounds corny... but the first time I laid eyes on one of these Field of Dreams "Corn Stalk" cards, I immediately knew I wanted one.

I started targeting Rickey Hendersons and Reggie Jacksons for my Oaklandcollection, but their logo-less images and high prices quickly changed my mind. I couldn't justify spending twenty-something dollars on a logo-less relic card... that's not really a relic card.

2013 Leaf Team of Dreams "Corn Stalks" #DC-PM1

Then I stumbled across the Johnny Bench. It's logo-less... but his catcher's gear does a good job of disguising it. Plus he's one of my childhood favorites and one of the greatest catchers in the history of the game. Problem solved. I'd forgo the pair of Athletics and target the Little General.

Fast forward a few months... and one finally fell into my lap at a reasonable price ($11.50 + $2.50 shipping).

I know some of you are shaking your heads wondering why I'd want this "corny" piece of cardboard and I completely respect your opinion. However... I just happen to think it's totally original, super creative, and about as unique as it gets. And that's why I'm proud to admit I own an actual piece of cornstalk grown at the Field of Dreams.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Fuji, I just happen to live 2 Hours away from the Field of Dreams and was actually there 2 weeks ago to see how it looked. Unfortunately the corn isn't a factor right now so it took away a little of the mystique. Still a cool place to visit and it's a free attraction. They do have a nice gift shop onsite selling everything from baseballs to jerseys and even Moonlight Graham baseball cards. I really love the card also and I think I might try to snag one or two off the bay.

Comment

Working...
    X